Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

91ROKKRAWLER

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Xploder
So I was bored today, unemployed, and decided I wanted to fire up my welder. I looked around and found some 3/4" square tube with a semi thick wall and decided I had enough to build a roof rack. Used my sawzall for cutting so nothing was PERFECTLY straight as far as cuts but anyways...

46" wide, 53 1/2" long. rack is 6" tall

How it started...

100_1913-1.jpg

100_1914.jpg

Bottom getting close...

100_1917.jpg

Top Started

100_1918.jpg

Sitting flat on the truck (no legs or bracing)

100_1919.jpg

100_1920.jpg

100_1921-1.jpg

100_1922.jpg

100_1923.jpg

100_1925-1.jpg

Need Opinions...

Middle...

100_1929.jpg

100_1930.jpg

or Rear...

100_1927.jpg

100_1928.jpg

Pipe Thickness...

100_1931.jpg

Done for the night

100_1938.jpg

100_1939.jpg

100_1940.jpg

Thoughts????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm gonna take some 3/16" and do some light mounts in front. move my 4 lights up. put my fog lights on the front bumper, eventually get another winch and it'll look good.

also gonna do hi lift and shovel.

rear, you'll have more room available to fit a larger item on you're rack that way.

i really like you're rear bumper btw.

On a swing away on the rear so you don't have that much more weight way up in the air... I figured my rack alone was gonna be around 80 lbs but the one I designed out of aluminum was only 26lbs (when I have the time to get to my buddys tig) ... that's a lot of extra weight up high... plus a tire.

Being as that wasn't an option in the poll, I figure if you put it towards the back, it's easier to access and you'll have more room in total on the rack.

I also suggest not putting it on top. A 33" tire is pretty heavy and getting the tire on top is going to be a workout (I've been there). Getting the tire down is not fun either - if you throw it down, sometimes the tires bounces back towards the vehicle and results in a dent (I've been there too).

I like the look in the middle but putting it in the back would provide more room for other items.

basically this will only be used as a temporary mount for the tire. I'll be bolting a tire carrier up there so I can hold it til I build my tire carrier, which will be when I get a job and some extra funds in. that or I find some scrap steel I can use.

also as far as getting it up and down, I built my rear bumper to stand on which would make it easier to get the tire/wheel combo up and down, and I wouldn't be doing that as often as I should, I don't wheel as much. Just out with the club every once in a while, which usually doesn't result in a flat tire.

Back