Project X: Tortion Twist and Drop Blocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project X: Tortion Twist and Drop Blocks

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
I'm ready...

...to make my first major Mod. I bought my 2" lowering block at Pep Boys at $26.99. I've read almost all the thread on TT and on how to lower my X (thanx to the members of this site).

The only hard part so far has been finding an allignment shop that is willing to even touch a lowered truck. After 2 weeks of looking and calling, I finally found one!

The cost: $50 camber kit + $90 for intallation + $60 allignment = $200!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So if your truck is lowered, it is modified... will it continue to be reliable? :)

Yeah that was the hard part for me too, finding a shop to align it. Good luck though, you'll be happier after you lower it.

Namitey-
I knew that was coming. I guess I need a new signature. Any suggestions?:)

Hartman-
Thanks, man. I'm sure I'd love it.

Should I worry about any suspension being stressed out abnormally after everything's been alligned?

There will be a little extra stress on your balljoints. Depending on how many miles you have, they may need to be replaced soon anyway.

I currently have 54K miles on mine. Any idea on the cost of the ball joints and the difficulty of replacing them?

You should be fine then. You should be able to get much much more lift outta them.

That's good to know.

BTW- I'm lowering it, not lifting it.

It's done...

The measurements:

Front Left: before 32 3/4", after 30 1/2"
Front Right: before 33", after 30 1/2"
Rear Left: before 32", after 30"
Rear Right: before 32", after 30"

Loved the new low ride!

Front (stock height):
372697_5.jpg

Front (2 1/2" drop):
372697_6.jpg

Rear (stock height):
372697_3.jpg

Rear (2" drop):
372697_2.jpg

Although the front was dropped 1/2" more than the back, it looks the opposite! It doesn't have that raked look. Can anyone explain this?

Explorers tend to have some rear end sag, so the extra 1/2 inches in the front leveled it out.

From my experience once lowered, the ride will be bouncy. This, ofcourse, calls for new shocks. Some suggested I get new (EE) sway bars with this set up but I see no need for it. What you guys think?

I run the EE swaybars + Edlebrock IAS shocks and it's a great combo. It's not bouncy, but a bit rough on the NY streets. It's something you get used to. I love how it handles, especially if you get it on some nice streets (very rare around here). I also put on the Roadmaster handling kit (or whatever its called) and that helped settle down the rear end when hitting potholes and such.

What is a "Roadmaster Handling Kit"?

I thought that new shocks made the BIGGEST difference in the world on how it rode.

the roasmaster kit isn't really worth the money, it helps, but not to the degree that they advertise. In the below pic, its the springs that go from the rear of the leaf at the shackel to the spring pearch.
Dead Link Removed

DASFREM.......in that pic, what kind of exhaust setup to you have and how much did you pay?

I myself have true duals ran into a custom y-pipe that goes into a single in, dual out flow. Then dumped. Also have two less cats cuz i cut them off.

I am really tired of the loudness and want a stock sound, but still with less restriction. Basically i just want pipe(s) ran out the back, and maybe even transformed back into true duals if the money is right. Thank you

It's a custom Flowmaste 40 series cat back with 2.5" pipes. Cost $190 alltogether to get done at a local exhaust shop (well, Memphis local). I love the sound it puts out and it never gets old!

Okay...
Roadmaster Kit is a "no", new shocks is a "yes". Which shocks are a good buy and do I change the fronts as well?

Yes, I'd like to know as well...

Edelbrock IAS
Gabrial VST
Monroe Sensatrac
Others...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I've got the Edlebrock, and I like 'em quite a bit so those would be my recomendation. Might as well get all 4 to even out the ride. The best deal I found was at www.desertrat.com

Back