PROPANE CONVERSION FORD 4.6L 3V Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PROPANE CONVERSION FORD 4.6L 3V Explorer

taranmalhi

Reaction score
City, State
Mississauga, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited AWD
Hey guys,

Considering that gas prices are going up here in Toronto...$1.40/Litre, i'm really interested in the idea of converting my Ex to propane. I've been doing some research and found out that my Ex would require a EFI Propane system. I had a few questions before I continued on with my project. Knowing that I would have to sacrifice my spare tire and possibly the Class 3 trailer hitch, i'm a bit sceptical. Here's my q's!

1.) Has anyone ever done this conversion before on the 3 valves?, especially the Explorers?
2.) Would I still be able to install performance add-ons onto the vehicle after it is completed?
3.) What kind of fuel consumption would the V8 be doing after this is completed?
4.) Is it healthy and safe for my motor to be running on propane?

I mean, the crown vics have been running these propane systems since I could last remember. Every taxi out here seems to have one installed on them. What difference would it be to install the system on my Ex?

Comments and help much appreciate, Thanks!

Don't know if it will work but I am interested!
Stu

I have been trying to find a kit for my 14 ex. A lot of good info is available on roush cleantech site, but the don't have a kit yet. I have tried it in the 70's &
80's with mixed, mostly bad results. The equipment and technology are vastly improved now, and I am going to do it again. The area police cars and service trucks are on their 3rd year now, and the cops and service personnell love the propane. As soon as I can find the correct equipment, I will convert my Explorer to LP. It should be ok as-is, because it is a flex-fuel already, with heavier valves, etc. Good luck.

In my country we have also natural gas, it´s cheaper and better, do you have natural gas there?

Any of those can be virtaully installed in any engine. There are old kits that are installed in the throttle body and you should stay away from those. The kit you want is controlled by a piggyback and starts the truck in gasoline and after a while automatically switches to propane/natural gas.

Back