Proper way to tow a car with an X | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Proper way to tow a car with an X

Exactly... 500lbs and with a Tow Dolly you won't hit 500lbs tongue weight.

Idealy(sp?) a trailer is the best bet.. Tow dolly is ok in a pinch BUT it is hard to find a Dolly to fit larger vehicles (width) and you really can't tow them backwards (wierd things happen when you do that because of the Caster/toe/camber of the front wheels)..

Trailer is the best option and a class III hitch (receiver) is the way to go but if its the only time the vehicle is going to pull something and money is very tight that isn't always an option.. But towing a full size vehicle on a trailer will put you over the max pulling weight on the bumper, let alone the tongue weight. Soo.. If you are pulling with a trailer, you need the class III and trailer brakes would help too..

If you use a Dolly the bumper would carry it, but dolly's aren't the best way to move the vehicle..

Flat towing I haven't done, but the people I talked to that have say it makes for an interesting drive (plus not all vehicles can be flat towed).

~Mark

Agreed 100%... you just saved me a couple minutes of typing!

I would also add that the method of towing also depends on the vehicle being towed. If it's front wheel drive, a trailer or dolly will work fine. If it's rear wheel drive or all wheel drive (or in some cases a 4x4), all bets are off... it will vary from vehicle to vehicle. Some vehicles (like ours) cannot be flat-towed without a neutral tow kit installed, or unless it has a manual transfer case. If it's rear wheel drive, it *can* be flat-towed, but only for a certain distance at a certain speed, unless you want to cook the transmission. Manual transmission vehicles are usually fine... again, it just depends.

As for the Ex's capabilities, check the owner's manual for the maximum tow capacity based on your vehicle's engine, trans, and rear end ratio. Some can only tow as little as 1300 lbs, others are good to 7k. It just depends...

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed 100%... you just saved me a couple minutes of typing!

I would also add that the method of towing also depends on the vehicle being towed. If it's front wheel drive, a trailer or dolly will work fine. If it's rear wheel drive or all wheel drive (or in some cases a 4x4), all bets are off... it will vary from vehicle to vehicle. Some vehicles (like ours) cannot be flat-towed without a neutral tow kit installed, or unless it has a manual transfer case. If it's rear wheel drive, it *can* be flat-towed, but only for a certain distance at a certain speed, unless you want to cook the transmission. Manual transmission vehicles are usually fine... again, it just depends.

As for the Ex's capabilities, check the owner's manual for the maximum tow capacity based on your vehicle's engine, trans, and rear end ratio. Some can only tow as little as 1300 lbs, others are good to 7k. It just depends...

-Joe

Very good points made. If its rear wheel you can always disconnect the rear driveshaft...Same if it’s AWD and you’re on a tow dolly. If you’re flat towing an AWD you could disconnect both front and rear shafts. You can’t just disconnect them from the axles and ratchet strap them up...I’ve never heard of a problem with a manual trans just leave it in neutral and you won’t have a problem.

What kind of car are you towing? It would give us a better idea of what will be the optimal towing solution for you.

My buddy and I "flat towed" his 93 T-bird w/455 from my house to the drag strip about 50 miles away with mine. He drove, i followed in my Mustang. We disconnected the drive shafts and swapped his drag tires for some street tires. We used the bumper mounted ball, I inspected things when we go to the track and disconnected the car. The bumper was not harmed. My buddy did say the car wanted to walk out on him during turns but he kept it slow and had no problems.

It worked so well for him that he went out last month and bought himself a 97 Mountaineer. :)

wow!

Thanks for all the feedback, great forum.

I have the factory bumper hitch, but I dont trust it at all. The car I need to tow is a full sized sedan and weighs around 3700-4000 lbs. I think the factory setup is rated for 3,500 lbs.

So that's what I'll do, get a new hitch and rent a car trailer. Sounds good and will let you know how it turns out. Reese III/IV looks nice.

Dont go to uhaul, thell laugh you out of there. Its aginst their policy to rent to explorer owners, but thell rent to mounty owners??

Dont go to uhaul, thell laugh you out of there. Its aginst their policy to rent to explorer owners, but thell rent to mounty owners??

Yeah...their retarded...and every one from U-Haul that ive talked to has no idea why they wont rent to ex's...

Yeah...their retarded...and every one from U-Haul that ive talked to has no idea why they wont rent to ex's...

Had to do with a rollover or something, and Uhaul got sued by the owner of X. That was back before the firestone recall though....

Well, now that its kinda been setteled. i suggest letting us join in!

Back