PTU grind or transmission?

rocketfuel

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011, Explorer, Limited
2011 4wd limited 165k miles

Trying to determine if this grinding is the PTU, transmission, or something else.

PTU fluid was extracted around 160k and I did it again a couple nights ago using 75-140 motorcraft.

The vehicle does not slip or surge. You can feel the grind in the pedal and there is a high heat smell but not egg or propane. No puking from the PTU vent tube and transmission fluid looks good. It feels like it is under the seat/console where the PTU sits versus a hub or axle issue.

I am not looking forward to replacing the PTU and want to ensure this is the actual problem. Is there any advice to isolate the issue without paying Ford a couple hundred to diagnose?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Trying to diagnose over the Internet is not ideal. Is it loud enough to allow you to post a video clip or is just a 'feel' in the brake pedal?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Trying to diagnose over the Internet is not ideal. Is it loud enough to allow you to post a video clip or is just a 'feel' in the brake pedal?

Peter
Thank you for the reply Peter. I will post a video over the next few days and appreciate the help. Vehicle is not being driven.

I do suspect the PTU but not really enough evidence to be sure. What did the fluid look like 5K miles ago?

I would expect it to be pretty worn out if it didn't have the fluid changed until 160K mi, but, if one or the other is failing anyway, I think I'd check whether the transmission fluid looked roasted and drive it a bit more to see if the new PTU fluid helps and if the problem persists, then drain the new PTU fluid to see if it has metal particles in it.

Back