• Register Today It's free!

Push button start advice?

AbbottK28

Reaction score
City, State
Wyandotte, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I have kind of rifled through the info on here and im still not 100 percent on the whole setup I guess. I have a 97 xlt v8 and i wanna do this mod to it, and yes i do plan on disabling the steering lock, I have that part under control and i understand the concept, but i wonder if anyone on here has an exact wiring diagram/walkthrough I could use. I know i need a push button monetary switch and a toggle, got those under control. But im still not sure how to wire it i guess, and also what gauge wire should i be using for this? I am pretty mechanically inclined so you dont have to be simple in explaining, thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one? lol guess im going in alone again we shall see what happens

I have but one question: Why?

Bill

Honestly, boredom and a stock pile of component parts ill probably never use.

if your ex has a pats key system, that will have to be dealt with too

it dosent have pats, if i understand it correctly that was started on 98s? The chip in the key?

so no one has a diagram or anything huh?

If you're bored, get under there with your multimeter, find out what's hot and what's not, or better yet just run a couple wires from your pushbutton to the relay on the fender and switched power to the ignition, body modules, etc. Don't forget to post pictures :D

Bill

Thanks for the kind advice Bill, lol I can see it now, pics of my truck in flames because i jumped the wrong 2 wires. I am just gonna leave it be, i got rid of all the alarm crap that was aftermarket and got the harness good an insulated and secure so ill call it good.
Besides, up to this point all the free time was due to unemployment, and i got a job offer from at&t finally after waiting for a long time so i wont have as much free time which is good. Also good is ill have some more spending money to throw at the truck respectively on things it needs (which dosent include a push button start) ;o)

Happy for you on your new job. But seriously, I'm sure I have the wiring book for a 97 somewhere in the shed, if it's decent out this weekend I'll find it scan a page and pm it to you (can't post pix here for some reason)

Bill

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m136/Flash635/std_relay_connections_diagram_zpsd4a92b81.jpg

The momentary action starter switch has 2 poles, run one directly to ground and run the other to pin 85 on the relay,

When the switch is pressed it will supply ground to the relay and energise it.

Power in to pin 86 comes from your ignition switch.

Run power from the battery through heavy wire into pin 30 and power out through heavy wire from pin 87 to the starter solenoid.

Thanks for the tips Flash, and dont worry about it Bill, I do have the cd version of the workshop manual for the truck, I have looked at the diagrams and i understand how it all works, but I guess im guilty of being a bit lazy and hoping someone on here had done it. I may give it a go this weekend if i get really bored, but i report for training in a week or so, and i need the truck running preferably, lmao.

And Flash, what about switches, I was under the assumption i needed 2, one to kill the truck or supply power similar to "run", and one also for the accessories?

And Flash, what about switches, I was under the assumption i needed 2, one to kill the truck or supply power similar to "run", and one also for the accessories?

You wouldn't have to have 2 switches but I'm sure it would be handy to be able to run your accessories without needing the ignition to be on.

I'd say a 2 way toggle switch would be the go.

Example: Up for ignition and accessories; middle for off; down for accessories only.
Or you can get those groovy missile launcher switches that the ricers love so much.

And how do you suppose i wire that? Does that need some bigger gauge wire as well? BTW I had one of those "groovy missile launcher" switches laying around in my spare parts rack anyways lol. But now everytime i look at it i laugh because of that comment

I suppose the best way would be to wire up relays behind the toggle switches to relieve the load on the switch.
You'd have to look at the wiring diagrams to see which wires supply power to the ignition and which supply the accessories.

I had a double action toggle for foglights many years ago, they were rated for 10 amps - I still ran relays.
I had them rigged so one position the fogs would only come on with high beam, the law in this state at the time, the other position they could come on with the parkers and no headlights.

Try this setup, it worked for me.
pushbuttonign.jpg

Here's a link. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2251776

ok what am i looking at with the relays? Am i running wire directly to the relay box under the hood?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These are relays that you will be adding. At the top are the wires you connect to on the main harness under the steering column. The exception is the bypass connection at the right. You only need this if you have a 2nd gen with the PATS system, hooking this to a remote start bypass unit.

Back