Push rod length? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Push rod length?

Hey guys!

I'm in the final stages of a mild build/refresh for my 4.0.

Aside from a stock bottom end, I have:

410 comp cam
98tm heads (Alabama) -205$ build from AL, single valve springs, etc
Sealed Power rockers ordered..

My question is push rod length.

From researching this site it looks like the length I'm looking for is 5.550" because I'm using the stock style rockers, correct?

I'm going to order from Smith Brothers Push rods, and there's a few questions they ask that I'm not sure of.

Length= 5.550", (Over all)
No guide plates
No oil holes in ends
Tube diameter= 5/16" straight wall cromo?
ball ends both ends

Am I missing anything?

Thanks everyone! The amount of information on this site is astounding.

Benjam :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First let me state that I've never built a 4.0 engine, but plenty of V8s. Going by what I know about V8 push rod engines. Make sure that the rocker is working the center of the valve stem Not off center. This can be done by just turning the engine over by hand. Or at least after firing up and observing the scuff pattern.
I used to use a push rod checking tool that you could adjust to different lengths for the correct wear pattern on the end of the valve stem and then order push rods that length or as close as you could get.
This was done mostly when I changed the rocker ratio. Unless you have a different ratio rockers, if in fact that can be done with 4.0 and have not decked the block and different thickness head gaskets, my hunch is you'll be fine.
Someone with more knowledge of 4.0 might chime in.
And welcome to the site.

call delta cams.. they should be able to tell you exactly what length you need

delta cams cant tell him what length he needs if hes not even buying a cam from them.
delta cams is crap. do not buy.

pushrods:
#NR54A-dd 5.x.. OA
5/16X.049 4130 NON-HT NO/OIL
BM3732A---3/16 R MW BALL BOTH ENDS

since im not sure about the 98tms, i would wait a bit to see whats said. cause 0.025" really makes a difference

Thats about how I feel about delta after reading a couple 4.0 builds :p..

Xeek, I'm using original lifters as well, so I think I'm going to go with the 5.550"

3/16 is the ball end diameter I assume?

Man.. I could have the pig running again by the end of the week!

Benjam :D

Checking pushrods are sold by different manufacturers, but most operate on the same principle. They are typically two-piece units that are threaded to allow expansion in length. You can adjust the checking pushrod's length until you have what you need, then use that as a guide to order the real set.

you do know with a stock 92 bottom end and 98tm heads you will be running 10:1 compression and need 90+ gas and a tune?and why would you go with the 410 cam if you running 10:1?spend the extra $100 for dual valve springs and get the 422 cam,about 20 or more hp

Quick question on this one jd...........

With the greater overlap of the 422 cam, can you get away with using regular 87 gas? I do understand that the higher compression will allow the cam to work really well. Lower compression, not so much.

Yea.bit with more performance i would step the octane up.i "HAVE"ran 87 in mine before and it ran but didn't like it.if i was to build another 4.0 i would go even higher compression.11:1+ flat top pistons and 95tm heads.yea the 422 does like the extra compression,so does NOS ;);)

Jd,

Yes I'm expecting to need at LEAST 91 octane gas with my build.

As far as the 410 vs 422 goes.. it was just a matter of the 410 cam laying around all these years in storage.

if i was to build another 4.0
... if i was to do another one id find room for 2 more cylinders and add another liter to the size along with an upper intake that has a pulley on it :)

yea 422 can run 87, but itll perform bad. i think brandon96 runs 87 in his. once he had a bad gas knock, other then that id say just less performance.

Jd,

Yes I'm expecting to need at LEAST 91 octane gas with my build.

As far as the 410 vs 422 goes.. it was just a matter of the 410 cam laying around all these years in storage.

If no head work is being done i would have went with engine quest 95tm heads not the Alabama 98tm.95tm flow better for about the same cost

... if i was to do another one id find room for 2 more cylinders and add another liter to the size along with an upper intake that has a pulley on it :)

I like the way you think.. though I've always pondered a diesel..

If no head work is being done i would have went with engine quest 95tm heads not the Alabama 98tm.95tm flow better for about the same cost

I'll be having head work done at this point. I originally opted for the 98tms just to have a complete pair of heads to put on, and higher compression.

Long story short.. the engine is coming back out and I won't be skimping on head work this time.

OR rebuilding the bottom end... oops :p

Benjam

EQ heads are complete and bump you to 10:1 and flow better in stock form.never skimp on a motor build.i said another 4.0 if i was to do it again a blown 347 would go in;)i did mine to be different and just to say i have a built v6;)

Well I thought I had a strong bottom end yet and basically just rebuilt from headgaskets up, excluding lifters.

Put it all together, knock knock knock knock...

Uh oh.

Any videos of your exhaust jd? I saw one in your registry with the 410 cam, any change in sound with the 422?

Benjam

Ill make a new one tomorrow now that my truck looks different and i got a HD phone now;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back