Puzzling Rumbling on Steering Wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puzzling Rumbling on Steering Wheel

crilin1979

Reaction score
City, State
bakersfield CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Ok, so I have looked at other posts about a similar problem. However, I would like to describe the issue I am having (and have had for about 1 year or so) with my 02 Eddie Bauer V8 explorer.

I feel this rumbling, vibration, etc. on the entire vehicle and steering wheel intermittently when I turn right or left from a dead stop. For example, when I come up to a stop sign and I have to turn right, as soon as I turn the wheel and start to accelerate, I feel this puzzling vibration. Or when I pull out of a driveway and turn either way, I feel it. Not only do I feel it when I start the turn, but also when I turn the wheel the opposite way to straighten out the vehicle. It almost feels like some sort of lack of lubrication somewhere, but I'm no expert to even begin where else to look.

I read that maybe the PS fluid is low, but after checking it, the levels are ok. I have checked if there is anything loose or maybe the wheel is rubbing, but none of that.

I am truly puzzled by this and any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be lots of things - ball joint(s), tie rod end(s), something in the column itself, etc. Lift the front end enough for the tires to clear and place on jack stands, then try turning the wheel. That may help you isolate the problem.

Hey!

When that was happening to me, it was a busted tie rod, which is pretty dangerous to have floating around.There are quite a few things that could cause it, most of them not safe. lol

As JW stated you can check some of it yourself. Lift it and check for looseness in the tie rods and rock the tires, as well as have a friend turn the steering wheel and you watch for loose parts. If that fails, then I'd take it in to get it checked. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks guys...I need to hear your leads..these will definitely get checked out.

start with the tie rods and other steering components first, for safetys sake, but if there all good it could be the pump, bad fluid or just going out. is it a rumbling or more like its nudging back at you? if its the nudgeing then probably something with the pump in my experience.

hoss,
more rumbling noise and feel (cause the wheel does vibrate).

This sure sounds like a steering column bearing issue. I think there's both upper and lower.

do your tiers show any signs of wear?

I had what sounds like the same problem 2 years ago. I put the Ex up & checked everything and all was fine. With the wheels still off the ground, I started it up & the front wheels would start shaking all by themselves.
Here's the stupid part; I spent $10 on a bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop-Leak and I haven't had even the slightest shimmy since. It's probably got 50,000 miles on it since and everything is good.
Might be worth spending 10 bucks.

Back