Q on ford radio

94Sport5Sp

Reaction score
City, State
River Hills
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
Hi:

I have a older ford radio which I would like to install in a radio less vehicle but I need to know the functions for the different wires. I have no history on this radio but since is says Ford on the front then I knew where it came from.

The radio is AM/FM only. There is a tag on the side with 89-23 followed by E9SF-19B131-AB and then 048604 (what I believe to be the serial number). I did a search on the net and found reference to this number a Ford Ranger/Explorer radio. I assume from the 89 and the fact that it is only AM/FM that the radio was probably produced for 89-91 years of ford truck.

The wiring blocks are attached to the radio. One block has 6 wires and I assume that this is for power plug. The other block has 8 wires and I assume that it is for a 4 speaker system.

Can anyone help me identify the pin outs for the wires? The power block has one solid red (heavy wire) which I assume is power and one solid black which I assume is ground. The other 4 wires have color with stripe color. The wire next to the red is Orange(Black), then Lite Blue(Maroon), then Yellow(Black), then all Black(ground), then Greenish Blue(Yellow), there is two empty sockets on the other side of red wire.

Thanks
PaMnd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radio wires (especially aftermarket) are pretty universally color coded, though many factory units (or factory wiring behind the radio) deviate from this.

Red (or the fused connection) is USUALLY constant power from the battery
But on some Fords the thick red wire can be the ground and the power/memory wire is the Green(Yellow)

Black is usually ground
Yellow(Black) is ignition power, (only on when key is turned)
Orange(Black) is usually for the illumination or lights on the radio face
Orange(White) is for radios that work with a dimmer switch

Blue wires and maybe the Blue(Maroon) is either for a power antenna or a remote wire for an external amplifier.

Keep in mind this varies some by year and radio manufacturer.

Have you looked at the radio connectors in your vehicle to see if the AM/FM unit will snap right in? You may not even need to mess with any wiring at all if yours is equipped for the unit you already have.

If it has connectors, but not for the AM/FM radio, you can usually find the right factory radio for pretty cheap used, and save yourself the hassle of a wiring mess. Might even be able to get a cassette deck, too.

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
these pages will help you with what info you are trying to find

Hi:

Thanks for the replies. The truck the radio is headed for does not have any plugs for radios. So it will be a complete wiring job no matter what I get unless I get some real old AM style radio. Are Ford radios aftermarket even if they have Ford name on them and since I have the factory wiring in the radio?

Thanks for the links I will see what I can match. I am assuming the 8 wire plug are for positive & negative to speakers and I am hopping that they are paired. That is the first two a for one speaker then next two for next speaker and so on for 4 speakers.

Thanks
PaMnd

Unless the plugs were cut out, there should be existing plugs for at least the basic radio. They may be hidden or were tied off out of sight, or just be lost in the dash wiring. If the plugs were cut, you may still be able to find the cut end and crimp on new wires.

Any radio that says Ford on it and looks like a factory radio is a factory radio. Some are made by popular aftermarket radio manufacturers, but usually just the high end models.

The speaker wires are as you're thinking, the first two on one end are a pos/neg pair for one speaker, the next are the next pair, etc. etc.

Hi:

Thanks for the reply. Since this radio does say ford and the connectors on the back are also ford part #s then this is a factory radio with harness. So now I just have to find out what ford did with the wires on the power block.

I was looking at the links fordnut71 left and the plug shape matches the up to late 1990 wiring harness but the listed wired do not match. When looking at the diagram from Dead Link Removed then the Red (thicker wire) is ground as per the diagram and the all black wire is not used. Is there a test I can do to verify the setting. I would like to know before I apply live power to any wire.

Thanks
PaMnd

PS: The vehicle the radio is going into is a 33 ford and there are very few wires not accounted for.

...Is the 33 a coupe or a truck???...any pics??..:popcorn:

The only way to test it is to hook it up, really. If it's hooked up wrong, it just won't work or no sound will come out of the speakers.

I have seen the plug-ins that plug into the back of factory style radios at auto parts stoires, and they normaly are labled to which wire is which.

from my experences of using these web pages most times the wire colour maybe different, but it still does the same thing. but if its showing a red for ground,which iv never seen yet for a radio, i would check it for contunity on the wire an case to really make sure it was ground. also i would use a inline 10 amp fuse on the power just incase its wasnt wired right. this way you blow the fuse an not the radio.

Hi:

Thanks for all the thoughts. I will assume the web pages are correct and will try to see if I can power the radio up. I do have some spare wires with fuses so I will try that to connect power. For now I will use only one speaker to see if I can get some sound and the play it from there.

Thanks
PaMnd

PS: Sorry no digital pics and no digital cam.

let us know how it works out for ya.

I have wired up many radios over the years.. If you can locate the power and ground fairly easily you can figure the others out by just touching them around and seeing which speaker plays.... I guess it depends on you knowledge of playing with such things.. I enjoy it for some reason

Back