Question about running board hardware for '02 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about running board hardware for '02 XLT

TheNastyZ28

Reaction score
City, State
Billerica, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I recently purchased a set of used OEM-style running boards for my '02 XLT Explorer. Here is a picture of the item I received:

rb1.jpg

This is all it came with, there was no hardware included. I was planning on just buying a set of bolts from my local hardware store, but not only could i not find the sizes of the bolts online, but I also came across this diagram from a Ford parts supplier website:

rb2.gif

The running boards I received did not include anything like the pieces labeled 7, 8 or 9. Are these needed to bolt them on to my truck, or do I just need 6 nuts and bolts for each side? I wasn't planning on having to make a trip to my local dealership, but if I do in fact need those parts, it looks like I'm going to have to. If anyone knows whether or not I need them, or if there's someone out there who knows the size of the bolts needed off-hand, that would be great. Thanks guys.

Yes, pieces 7 8 9 are needed. That is what connects the boards to the body of the x. Look under your x as they might already be there.

I removed my 02 explorer xlt's running boards to repair the rocker panels and pieces 7, 8, and 9 are, not needed on mine. Mine bolt to the outer rocker panel and to the underside of the vehicle.

Back