Question pertaining to Double DIN headunits | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question pertaining to Double DIN headunits

bigwayne3000

Reaction score
City, State
Frenchtown, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
I have a 99 Sport and its a double din unit. I just installed new speakers, I installed the Pioneer A Series 6x8 3 ways. They sound great atleast for what I wanted and the price. I'm looking into switching out my stock headunit. I would like to stick with Pioneer and was looking at there new touch screen double din headunits the part #s are: AVH-P4000DVD for the 6.1" screen and AVH-P6000DVD for there 7" screen. My question is, since its double din does that automatically mean it should fit into my double din space now? When I go to crutchfield and do the fit my car guide, it doesn't list these 2 as being compatible so I am just trying to make sure before I shell out $600 and than to only find out it doesnt fit. What do I have to look for when trying to find double din units that fit? As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey there! Nope... it doesn't automatically mean because it's a double din it will fit. But there are ways to make them fit, just means you'll be doing some "adjusting" to the radio bezel. Real quick, will you be the only one using the vehicle?

Search Double Din and you'll see some really good examples - nice! :)

you dont need a double din you can get a single that has a screen and pops out.. when you buy the wireing harness it will come with this little holder ill take a pic in a min.

I have two Pioneer units in my Explorers. One is an AVIC-Z2 and the other is the newer FH-P8000BT. Both are double din units. Both fit extremely well. You need to get the dash kit for the double din. It's not normally stocked. But Metra and Scoche both make it. Your Pioneer units you are looking at should fit fine. The only caveat to this is you need to slightly trim the dash bezel opening. Takes about 5 minutes with a dremel or similar.

Crutchfield is a great company, but if a unit won't just fall in place, they claim it won't fit. Take what they say with a grain of salt. Here it is in my 95 (they said it wouldn't fit...it was a VERY easy fit):

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212754

I do not like the pop out screens. At all. But to each his own, so if that excites you, by all means go that way. But I've used both and the double din screen is so much nicer and professional looking IMO.

Yea I'm with you, I'm not a huge fan of the flip out screens. I want to really get either of the ones I've mentioned, leaning towards the later of the 2 just for the interface and it has a 6 disc cd changer built in. Where can I find these dash kits you're referring too? I tried googling it but didnt get much help. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Here you go:

(dead link)

I had a difficult finding one here in Phoenix...which is a pretty darn big city with a boatload of Explorers! So you may have to order it.

I have this one too... but wow!

I have two Pioneer units in my Explorers. One is an AVIC-Z2 and the other is the newer FH-P8000BT. Both are double din units. Both fit extremely well. You need to get the dash kit for the double din. It's not normally stocked. But Metra and Scoche both make it. Your Pioneer units you are looking at should fit fine. The only caveat to this is you need to slightly trim the dash bezel opening. Takes about 5 minutes with a dremel or similar.

Crutchfield is a great company, but if a unit won't just fall in place, they claim it won't fit. Take what they say with a grain of salt. Here it is in my 95 (they said it wouldn't fit...it was a VERY easy fit):

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212754

I do not like the pop out screens. At all. But to each his own, so if that excites you, by all means go that way. But I've used both and the double din screen is so much nicer and professional looking IMO.

It replaced the oem in the Scion. The mrs wanted the oem back, so the Pioneer sits on the table. It was in my son's Ex, but I noticed it was a distraction - too much fun while driving. So I snagged it, and have to use it in my Ex :D I have no choice - there will be a learning curve.

Best darn Bluetooth I've ever seen Donner. It's even better than the factory Acura...which is pretty darn good! I use the voice recognition software in my LG phone and it has never missed a beat. Just amazing. I drilled a hole in the overhead console for the microphone and it works perfectly. I highly recommend that radio. However, I'm having to warranty mine right now because the USB port has a problem. Every time you go to play songs off the flash drive (tried multiple drives) it reboots the radio. Talked to Pioneer, and they said "huh! Send it back." So I will! Everything else...including the XM...has been perfect. In fact, I'm going to add HD radio to it.

I'm gonna see if it can be installed today... I tried the fit in my 03, no problem, just the kit trim broke... thanks for the advice. I'll be back later today with pics if all goes well.

try this...
connect usb flash to computer and click " storage only" Alot of flash drives have programs pre-installed on them causing conflicts on head units.

045.jpg

055.jpg

043.jpg

I have a 2002 ford explorer and i was looking for the install kit.
any recomendations?

Back