High Flow Cat Install question 4.0 SOHC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Flow Cat Install question 4.0 SOHC

Not sure what size the converter was, but it was a direct bolt in replacement including the flange for the manifold, and the other pipe for the drivers side as one big assembly. It has the same exact pipe size, but the outside diameter of the converter is much smaller. I know this was the only change I made when my mileage took a huge dive. I've given it plenty of time to relearn the computer, and have done quite a few little tune ups etc. to get teh mileage back up.... I'm lucky to even get 23 MPG @50-55 mph now, it's horrible. I've tried retuning the computer with the sct, not much I can do except WOT mixture and timing advance. I'm thinking about putting the stock program back in to see what happens to the mileage.
23-29mpg?!? In a 98?? I think i average about 12...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@rushing098993 Please check the dates on the threads you read... This is the third 14-year old thread necro I've seen in the last couple of months.

23-29 MPG isn't unlikely at 55 MPH. True, it's way higher than the advertised mileage, and much higher than most people get, with their lead-foot driving. I don't go easy on the throttle or brakes, and I usually average between 21-22 MPG combined in my 2000 Limited with the SOHC/5R55E/4.10's. Suppose somebody drove more moderately, with taller gears, and more on the highway, 14 years ago when these vehicles were newer and ran better, and I can't see this as any kind of an unreasonable claim.

@rushing098993 Please check the dates on the threads you read... This is the third 14-year old thread necro I've seen in the last couple of months.

23-29 MPG isn't unlikely at 55 MPH. True, it's way higher than the advertised mileage, and much higher than most people get, with their lead-foot driving. I don't go easy on the throttle or brakes, and I usually average between 21-22 MPG combined in my 2000 Limited with the SOHC/5R55E/4.10's. Suppose somebody drove more moderately, with taller gears, and more on the highway, 14 years ago when these vehicles were newer and ran better, and I can't see this as any kind of an unreasonable claim.
What does the post date have to do with anything? I just got my 98 explorer and its my first build and information is already limited and your upset I posted because I didn't know such was a thing for this truck?

@rushing098993 14 years is a long time, my guy. It's a long shot to suppose that the guys who were discussing the matter in this thread 14 years ago, are even still on this forum at all - I know for a fact that at least one of them has died. To assume that such a relative factor as fuel economy would be relevant in a vehicle which is now 14 years older than the ones being discussed at the time this thread was made, seems a bit naive.

I did not challenge you for asking a question - I answered your question to the best of my knowledge, based on my own experience. I apologize if you mistook that for being upset.

Checking the dates serves to give you an idea of whether the people already in the thread might have more information to offer, or whether you're reviving an ancient thread that might be ignored. I only found this because it was in the top 5 recent threads, and as soon as it goes back off the top 5, it's not likely to get much attention. Hopefully others will jump in and share their experiences, and keep it alive.

I'm trying to help you, man.

I also read your other thread, and you said you had an OHV, which will get significantly fewer miles per gallon than the much more sophisticated (and perhaps problematic) SOHC. Do you mind sharing your axle gearing? That will be useful to know, for fuel economy estimations.

@rushing098993 14 years is a long time, my guy. It's a long shot to suppose that the guys who were discussing the matter in this thread 14 years ago, are even still on this forum at all - I know for a fact that at least one of them has died. To assume that such a relative factor as fuel economy would be relevant in a vehicle which is now 14 years older than the ones being discussed at the time this thread was made, seems a bit naive.

I did not challenge you for asking a question - I answered your question to the best of my knowledge, based on my own experience. I apologize if you mistook that for being upset.

Checking the dates serves to give you an idea of whether the people already in the thread might have more information to offer, or whether you're reviving an ancient thread that might be ignored. I only found this because it was in the top 5 threads, and as soon as it goes back off the top 5, it's not likely to get much attention. Hopefully others will jump in and share their experiences, and keep it alive.

I'm trying to help you, man.

I also read your other thread, and you said you had an OHV, which will get significantly fewer miles per gallon than the much more sophisticated (and perhaps problematic) SOHC.
White is ohv and brown is sohc, no ****. Iv spent so much time doing research on the two and never have I came across anyone getting more then 21. Obviously being that they are 22 years old they get way less mpg. But the simple fact that 14 years ago someone achieved 21+ still blows my mind because I didn't know they were capable. Just because its my first build doesn't mean I'm stupid. And it was a statement not a question, didn't ask for an answer. White is a straight piped 4.0 ohv efi on 33s with 3inch shackles and 2.5 keys with 4.10s pushing it. Also throttle mods, air intake mods, fuel mods, electric fans, extended front shocks and add a leaf. Then I have just under 2k in electrical with about 311,000 lumes on the front end alone. And at some point it will get a solid front end with lockers and coil overs and rear will get flipped and blocks and f150 leafs because i want an overall 6 in lift on 37s, bored and stage 2 cam and chip, hi flow injectors(entire fuel system, pump, lines, ect.) . Just bought the sohc and is all stock until tomorrow I start the custom exhaust and front end which I'm debating on a 4link. So no, I do not believe I'm going to get anything like 29mpg.

20220927_145958.jpg

White is ohv and brown is sohc, no shi*. Iv spent so much time doing research on the two and never have I came across anyone getting more then 21. Obviously being that they are 22 years old they get way less mpg. But the simple fact that 14 years ago someone achieved 21+ still blows my mind because I didn't know they were capable. Just because its my first build doesn't mean I'm stupid. And it was a statement not a question, didn't ask for an answer. White is a straight piped 4.0 ohv efi on 33s with 3inch shackles and 2.5 keys with 4.10s pushing it. Also throttle mods, air intake mods, fuel mods, electric fans, extended front shocks and add a leaf. Then I have just under 2k in electrical with about 311,000 lumes on the front end alone. And at some point it will get a solid front end with lockers and coil overs and rear will get flipped and blocks and f150 leafs because i want an overall 6 in lift on 37s, bored and stage 2 cam and chip, hi flow injectors(entire fuel system, pump, lines, ect.) . Just bought the sohc and is all stock until tomorrow I start the custom exhaust and front end which I'm debating on a 4link. So no, I do not believe I'm going to get anything like 29mpg.

View attachment 436045
Oh ya and the white is true 2wd wired to my control panel in the dash next the my scanners, pa system, train horns, emergency sirens, and my led whips on the back are wired to my signal lights so they change per command(yellow blinkers, red with brake. White with reverse) and my pods are also tied to turn signals as amber so I can still use the white spot lights. Quick release steering wheel, light bars on the back, and then there's everything in the engine bay I can give you that info if needed.

Oh ya and the white is true 2wd wired to my control panel in the dash next the my scanners, pa system, train horns, emergency sirens, and my led whips on the back are wired to my signal lights so they change per command(yellow blinkers, red with brake. White with reverse) and my pods are also tied to turn signals as amber so I can still use the white spot lights. Quick release steering wheel, light bars on the back, and then there's everything in the engine bay I can give you that info if needed.
Just incase you were concerned buddy

20220814_044705.jpg 20220402_083208.jpg 20211228_164236.jpg 20220522_202853.jpg 20211224_113252.jpg

23-29mpg?!? In a 98?? I think i average about 12...
@rushing098993 You asked two questions here, before making your statement, and I never made any insinuation that you were stupid. No doubt with the modifications that you have done, you would average around 12 MPG's in the one with the OHV. However, now you are posting off-topic in a 14-year old thread you necro'd, and if you're not interested in the way we operate around here, have fun - again, I'm trying to help you to make friends, not enemies.

That's quite the impressive build, if I'm to judge, and if you're inclined to share it, we would all love to see a build thread for each of your Explorers. But please, make your own thread for it, and label it accordingly. What you've done to your white Explorer is fascinating, and I'm very interested in seeing the plans and progress on the 4-link for the brown one - but what you've done in this thread is not a way to make a good name for yourself on this forum. It demonstrates poor knowledge of etiquette, and portrays a disregard for the basic rules.

My '99 Sport (now SOHC/5R55E/5.13's) never got anywhere close to the MPG's I'm getting regularly in my '00 Limited, even when it had small wheels on 4.10's. I didn't monitor it too closely, but given my driving routes and driving habits, I'd say probably 18 is a high shot on a good day, and that was 5 years ago. Based on rough calculations, it gets between 10 and 15 MPG's now.

Nevertheless, my Limited consistently sees 22 combined, and I've seen it as high as 26 on highways. I can easily buy that it would have seen 29 MPG's 14 years ago. And to refer to the original conversation in this thread, all of my Explorers have the original factory-installed catalytic converters, which haven't given me any cause for concern.

@rushing098993 You asked two questions here, before making your statement. No doubt with the modifications that you have done, you would average around 12 MPG's in the one with the OHV. However, now you are posting off-topic in a 14-year old thread you necro'd, and if you're not interested in the way we operate around here, have fun - I tried to help ya!

That's quite the impressive build, if I'm to judge, and if you're inclined to share it, we would all love to see a build thread for each of your Explorers. But please, make your own thread for it, and label it accordingly. What you've done to your Explorer is fascinating, but what you've done in this thread is not a good way to make a name for yourself on this forum.

My '99 Sport (now SOHC/5R55E/5.13's) never got anywhere close to the MPG's I'm getting regularly in my '00 Limited, even when it had small wheels on 4.10's. I didn't monitor it too closely, but given my driving routes and driving habits, I'd say probably 18 is a high shot on a good day, and that was 5 years ago. Based on rough calculations, it gets between 10 and 15 MPG's now.

Nevertheless, my Limited consistently sees 22 combined, and I've seen it as high as 26 on highways. I can easily buy that it would have seen 29 MPG's 14 years ago.
I have no clue how any of that works about the thread post and what not. And necrod? Not sure what that is nor do I care about making a name for myself as if it would really make a difference anyways. All I want is the info I take from it and if I knew how or where to post I wouldn't be listening to you ***** about something I won't lose sleep over. And off topic? You crying about this has nothing to do with the post. And I got all the info I needed on the high flow cats for the sohc so I sense a victory for me getting info, and a loss for you losing time and energy over nothing. My statement was relivent to the post until you wanted to step toes and you've got a big attitude over the internet.

I have no clue how any of that works about the thread post and what not. And necrod? Not sure what that is nor do I care about making a name for myself as if it would really make a difference anyways. All I want is the info I take from it and if I knew how or where to post I wouldn't be listening to you bitc* about something I won't lose sleep over. And off topic? You crying about this has nothing to do with the post. And I got all the info I needed on the high flow cats for the sohc so I sense a victory for me getting info, and a loss for you losing time and energy over nothing. My statement was relivent to the post until you wanted to step toes and you've got a big attitude over the internet.
Just for you ill post every single day on every post if you wanna play games. Why are you still going? I have both ohv and sohc and sometime in the future I'll mess around and get the 4.9, maybe ill do the 302 swap on the ohv. Ill post on what I feel like posting on regardless of how old it is. Any questions?

Just for you ill post every single day on every post if you wanna play games. Why are you still going? I have both ohv and sohc and sometime in the future I'll mess around and get the 4.9, maybe ill do the 302 swap on the ohv. Ill post on what I feel like posting on regardless of how old it is. Any questions?
Yeah, I got a question. Why do you think being an a-hole is gonna help you? It’s a pain in the ass when the recently posted threads are all super old with a comment h that ads ZERO to the discussion. The only one with a piss poor attitude in this thread is you.

A “question mark” (one of these “?” ) denotes a question. If you’re not asking a question, maybe stick to a different punctuation.

I HIGHLY doubt you’ve 300,000 LUMENS, if that was what you were trying to claim.

I also wouldn’t be bragging about 33s and 4.10s. 😂. Get some real gears.

Yeah, I got a question. Why do you think being an a-hole is gonna help you? It’s a pain in the ass when the recently posted threads are all super old with a comment h that ads ZERO to the discussion. The only one with a piss poor attitude in this thread is you.

A “question mark” (one of these “?” ) denotes a question. If you’re not asking a question, maybe stick to a different punctuation.

I HIGHLY doubt you’ve 300,000 LUMENS, if that was what you were trying to claim

20220417_013152.jpg 20220411_192358.jpg

The two 900w on the bottom alone are 45,000lm. Yes I have put a meter to each individual light, pairs, and all together. I have more in lights then you have in your bank account. AND LIKE I SAID IF YOU READ THE WHOLE CONVERSATION, I never even got to my question. As for the comment I posted if you want to get at it, isn't a complete sentence therefor not a question. God damn you guys find anything to nit pick huh? (Thats a question) not 29mpg?!? Its rhetorical. Both of you answer my this question I would have liked to ask please! Give me a good knowledgeable answer okay? Now obviously the 4.0 sohc and ohv are different, but is the sohc like the ohv were it absolutely needs the back pressure in the exhaust to get peak payload? Reason asking if the stock downpipe is 2.25inches and I need back pressure like the ohv needs it doesn't make sense to install a hi flow cat with a 2.25 duel inlet and 3inch outlet then into 3 inch magnaflow with 3.5 tailpipe? So would having too much airflow be harmful since it is not a hi output motor? ( again that is a question)

I also wouldn’t be bragging about 33s and 4.10s. 😂. Get some real gears.
Again, first build not done, how about you fund my pockets and feed my family and ill put different gears. Brag? Not even close. What are you trying to get at? Its a 3700lb boat, the ohv brand new only pushes 160hp so your not going anywhere no matter what gears you have. My wife's 2.4 jeep compass will eat any of these explorers. Yes 4.10 with 33s why don't I get real gears? For what purpose? Does it get me out when the fat ***** gets stuck in the sand? Yes. The white ohv doesn't even go 55mph because its a sketch drive without sway bars and stabilizers. AGAIN ITS A **** BOX. Its an abnormal vehical to see in the desert. Plus the state has a lean for some **** we won't discuss here but you can dm me and ill show you the court documents to back it so I can't sell this piece of **** to begin with so I said well hell I might as well make it my finishing truck for now then give it to my son in a few years. Don't come at me sideways because you suffer from little man syndrome. Like if these vehicals were comparable to others such as tacomas and Cherokee wouldn't more people invest in manufacturing or fabricating parts and add ons to make the expolorer more then what it is? Its a peice of **** I got stuck with that I put money into so I had a ****box I could go fishing with instead of taking my other truck. The white has been sitting this last month because the trans started slipping and instead of fixing it I just bought the sohc and going to start on it and if I don't want to spend the money on the sohc ill pull parts that fit, if they don't ill fab them, and set the ohv on fire if thats what I want to do. Like I said I'm stuck with it, there is a lean from the state and inorder to get the title there is the whole court process. So instead of rolling in a stock pos, ya I put money into. My lights, I can unblot and disconnect t from control panel and install on any of the other three vehicals I own in minutes. I'm the type that lifted my cts 1.5 with r275 and a 52inch 12000w light bar

Again, first build not done, how about you fund my pockets and feed my family and ill put different gears. Brag? Not even close. What are you trying to get at? Its a 3700lb boat, the ohv brand new only pushes 160hp so your not going anywhere no matter what gears you have. My wife's 2.4 jeep compass will eat any of these explorers. Yes 4.10 with 33s why don't I get real gears? For what purpose? Does it get me out when the fat bitc* gets stuck in the sand? Yes. The white ohv doesn't even go 55mph because its a sketch drive without sway bars and stabilizers. AGAIN ITS A shi* BOX. Its an abnormal vehical to see in the desert. Plus the state has a lean for some shi* we won't discuss here but you can dm me and ill show you the court documents to back it so I can't sell this piece of shi* to begin with so I said well hell I might as well make it my finishing truck for now then give it to my son in a few years. Don't come at me sideways because you suffer from little man syndrome. Like if these vehicals were comparable to others such as tacomas and Cherokee wouldn't more people invest in manufacturing or fabricating parts and add ons to make the expolorer more then what it is? Its a peice of shi* I got stuck with that I put money into so I had a ****box I could go fishing with instead of taking my other truck. The white has been sitting this last month because the trans started slipping and instead of fixing it I just bought the sohc and going to start on it and if I don't want to spend the money on the sohc ill pull parts that fit, if they don't ill fab them, and set the ohv on fire if thats what I want to do. Like I said I'm stuck with it, there is a lean from the state and inorder to get the title there is the whole court process. So instead of rolling in a stock pos, ya I put money into. My lights, I can unblot and disconnect t from control panel and install on any of the other three vehicals I own in minutes. I'm the type that lifted my cts 1.5 with r275 and a 52inch 12000w light bar
Might as well clear that cts one up before you find something petty to say. The cts got a 1.5 in lift. Its the 3.6l. So **** off

^ Link to these 900W lights (seller website page) that are supposed to be 45K lumens. There are a number of scientific reasons this is unlikely, probably closer to 10K lumens if even that. They are definitely not 90 watts, let alone 900 watts, unless they integrate the front bumper as a heatsink to keep from melting.

The two 900w on the bottom alone are 45,000lm. Yes I have put a meter to each individual light, pairs, and all together. I have more in lights then you have in your bank account. AND LIKE I SAID IF YOU READ THE WHOLE CONVERSATION, I never even got to my question. As for the comment I posted if you want to get at it, isn't a complete sentence therefor not a question. God damn you guys find anything to nit pick huh? (Thats a question) not 29mpg?!? Its rhetorical. Both of you answer my this question I would have liked to ask please! Give me a good knowledgeable answer okay? Now obviously the 4.0 sohc and ohv are different, but is the sohc like the ohv were it absolutely needs the back pressure in the exhaust to get peak payload? Reason asking if the stock downpipe is 2.25inches and I need back pressure like the ohv needs it doesn't make sense to install a hi flow cat with a 2.25 duel inlet and 3inch outlet then into 3 inch magnaflow with 3.5 tailpipe? So would having too much airflow be harmful since it is not a hi output motor? ( again that is a question)
Also reason I'm asking is i have exhaust parts
^ Link to these 900W lights that are supposed to be 45K lumens. There are a number of scientific reasons this is unlikely, probably closer to 10K lumens if even that. They are definitely not 90 watts, let alone 900 watts, unless they integrate the front bumper as a heatsink to keep from melting.
Are you kidding?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ Why would I be kidding? Link to the product. Typical output is around 100lm/W, less for dodgy generics and maybe 150lm/W for well designed premium lights. The math can be done from that to get a ballpark, plus roughly 10% for the buck driver circuit loss.

That's with good heatsinking, which that apparent (can't tell exact dimensions from the pic) form factor could not provide anywhere near 90W. As heat rises, lumen output goes down.

... or you could do the math the other way... 900W lights at 12V, let's say 14.4V input would be 63 amps, or 90W, 6.3A.

Back