• Register Today It's free!

Radiator flush

dexplore

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Mounty
My wife took her '98 Mountaineer to the dealer who said the radiator needs to be flushed. The truck has 40,000 or so miles on it.

We're deciding whether or not we can flush the system ourselves.

So my question is if there is a thread on the board that explains the principles of flushing an Explorer/Mountaineer radiator. In short, how is this done. I've never done it myself.

If there isn't a thread, what tools, aside from regular hand tools, do I need to accomplish this?

Please be kind. I'm a novice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The way that I do it (I am not sure if it is 100% right) is to just follow the directions on the bottle of radi flush. Open your radi cap when the engine is cool, and open the drain valve. On my 97 it is on the bottom left corner of the radi if you are standing looking at the front of the truck. Close the drain, pour the flush, add water, and let the X run for a while. Drain again, flush with water, and add the correct mix of radi fluid and H2O!

Rhyno - thanks much

What is the suggested mixture of coolant and water? 50-50?

This is for a 5.0 by the way.

Yes the suggested mix is 50/50. If your super lazy like me you can buy coolant already mixed 50/50 :D

Make sure you bleed the system of air before you are done. :cool:

Bleeding the system

Okay, how is that done?

Search for "burp cooling" that should get you plenty of info. :)

It's a very simple procedure.
With new fluid in the system, AND THE ENGINE COLD, open the radiator cap and start the Ex. Wait until the fluid becomes to overflow the radiator and close the cap.
Then turn off the engine an leave to cold.
Then open the radiator cap and fill with more fluid until the radiator is full again.

Good luck

;)

I always refill my radiator with DISTILLED water to achieve the 50/50 mix ratio.
I feel that this will virtually eliminate any mineral build-up in the radiator.
Years ago I used to see white crusting inside my radiator which I atribute to mineral build-up. Since using DISTILLED water I have not had the same problem. I believe this also will prolong the life of the water pump and thermostat. No proof -- just my gut feeling

P.S. I also only use distilled water to add to my battery for the same reason. :D

I'm not convinced that the rad. flush stuff is a good idea unless you have a very neglected rad. ( 4 yrs. old fluid or more) Seems like some of that flush stuff is gonna stay in the system and that cant be good for it.
I just change the fluid every two years and deffinetly use the distilled water & 50/50 mix.

Back