• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Leak Went Away

Trainmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Rockaway Beach NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Expr Ltd; 2016 XLT
Wife pulls up with the 2010 in limp mode overheated. It's 8 degrees out, 40 MPH wind and the truck's a gallon low in antifreeze. It's dribbling out of the bottom of the radiator it seems.

I look it over, refill the coolant and replace the 20 lb radiator cap with a 16 lb one. I pressurize the system with a tester and it holds 16 pounds for five minutes. The antifreeze tests okay to 15 below zero.

Seems fine now. Driving around all day. WTF? Am I lucky or is this going to come back and bite me?

The radiator was changed in 2018 with a new Motorcraft one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are probably OK for now but yes - it will come back. Dropping from 20 to 16lbs on the cap will just slow the leak down - once it develops a leak it isn't going to seal itself. I replaced my radiator with a new off brand and it lasted about 1.5 years until it started leaking again. I put a new Motorcraft in a year ago along with a 16lb cap and it's holding so far.
Burp your system and make sure the recovery tank has the proper level in it. Then you can keep a better eye on it - if the level is correct and you have no leaks the recovery tank will always have coolant in it at the proper level.

I think you will skate by for a while but eventually whatever crack has started will probably get worse over time. The 16 psi cap might buy you some time or maybe be a long term fix. In cold weather things seem to shrink and tighten up. In the summer they get looser. If you make it through the summer then you might have dodged a bullet.

Thank you guys! I'd rather fight with the tranny cooler quick connects in the spring than in January. Hopefully I'll buy a few months.

Imo I would replace it before it either gets worse or leaves you stranded because you ran out of coolant

Agree. You can only get lucky so many times. Overheats again takes out a head gasket or worse 🤔
Yep, and the 4.0 is a pain to do head gaskets on with those timing chains

Yep, and the 4.0 is a pain to do head gaskets on with those timing chains
For me, if I know I have a failing part in one of my vehicles it eats away at me. I don't like the uncertainty it brings. Especially if a family member will be driving this vehicle. I will fix the problem. Maybe not tomorrow but within a reasonable time frame. Then many times I will replace some parts as a preventative measure if a repair makes it easy to do so while things are apart and these parts aren't excessively expensive.

For me, if I know I have a failing part in one of my vehicles it eats away at me. I don't like the uncertainty it brings. Especially if a family member will be driving this vehicle. I will fix the problem. Maybe not tomorrow but within a reasonable time frame. Then many times I will replace some parts as a preventative measure if a repair makes it easy to do so while things are apart and these parts aren't excessively expensive.
Yep, same here if I have an issue, I just quit driving it all together to prevent further damage

Could not agree more👍If my 2010 mountaineer 4.0 with 86,000 miles is a 1/16th of a qt low on oil I add it. Did auto repair for 30 years (started early 70's). Now at 69 I am to damn old to pull the engine. Why temp fate. 1/2 qt of water/antifreeze and I add it. Yes I am extremely you know what 🙄 Remember the saying pay me now or pay me later.

Could not agree more👍If my 2010 mountaineer 4.0 with 86,000 miles is a 1/16th of a qt low on oil I add it. Did auto repair for 30 years (started early 70's). Now at 69 I am to damn old to pull the engine. Why temp fate. 1/2 qt of water/antifreeze and I add it. Yes I am extremely you know what 🙄 Remember the saying pay me now or pay me later.
I am the same way I follow my service intervals down to the mile

Yep, same here if I have an issue, I just quit driving it all together to prevent further damage
I am an engineer and after sitting through so many technical classes I became somewhat obsessed with things operating reliably and properly. Not just with vehicles but everything. I think I get a dopamine hit after making a repair and bringing something back to operating specs or possibly a little better. I also like modifying some things to perform a lot better than spec. Sports cars, overclocking computers etc. is on my list of things to improve performance. I have no desire to modify our utilitarian vehicles though. I just want them running with zero outstanding issues.

Just a note on your antifreeze mixture. -15 is not low enough. You should be running 50/50 mix which will set it to about -32 f

I am an engineer and after sitting through so many technical classes I became somewhat obsessed with things operating reliably and properly. Not just with vehicles but everything. I think I get a dopamine hit after making a repair and bringing something back to operating specs or possibly a little better. I also like modifying some things to perform a lot better than spec. Sports cars, overclocking computers etc. is on my list of things to improve performance. I have no desire to modify our utilitarian vehicles though. I just want them running with zero outstanding issues.
Same here I actually build computers, repair smartphones and tablets and I also do some light overclocking as well I started auto repair as a hobby and now, I have decided to pursue my ASE certification this year and either work at a shop or open my own shop

Just a note on your antifreeze mixture. -15 is not low enough. You should be running 50/50 mix which will set it to about -32 f
Proper 50/50 mix should be -34F (37C) but if you live in a colder climate, you should mix accordingly to get the best protection

I am the same way I follow my service intervals down to the mile
Me too and I even shorten the recommended service intervals for components like transmissions, PTUs and transfer cases. When I bought my Mountaineer three years ago I didn't know much about its maintenance history. Over a 2-3 month period I replaced all the fluids in it. I even did three pan drops and refills on the transmission over 10k-15k miles to flush out as much of the old fluid as possible. I have always been a stickler for transmission maintenance. In all the cars we have owned there was only one transmission replacement and this was right after I bought a 2003 Mountaineer with around 115k miles on it. Right after the transmission was replaced it was totaled in an accident. Three to four of the vehicles we owned were sold after they had around 200k miles on them. IMO, very good maintenance will prevent so many expensive repairs as the miles rack up.

Me too and I even shorten the recommended service intervals for components like transmissions, PTUs and transfer cases. When I bought my Mountaineer three years ago I didn't know much about its maintenance history. Over a 2-3 month period I replaced all the fluids in it. I even did three pan drops and refills on the transmission over 10k-15k miles to flush out as much of the old fluid as possible. I have always been a stickler for transmission maintenance. In all the cars we have owned there was only one transmission replacement and this was right after I bought a 2003 Mountaineer with around 115k miles on it. Right after the transmission was replaced it was totaled in an accident. Three to four of the vehicles we owned were sold after they had around 200k miles on them. IMO, very good maintenance will prevent so many expensive repairs as the miles rack up.
Yep the previous owner of my explorer took decent care of it but according to the car fax it had new tires and a new battery put in and a few days later it was hit in the rear and the side and State Farm totaled it out and he kept it but parked it and it sat from 2017 until 19 but he kept it insured and registered and then it stopped getting registered in 2019 and I acquired it in late 2020 or early 2021 and it needed some work but now it's my DD and I have flushed all the fluids replaced multiple parts and even "fixed" the rear timing guide and most recently I replaced the original water pump fan clutch and fan blade that had 267k miles on it I change my oil and filter every 3k miles even if it don't need it I have flushed the trans 5 or 6 times replaced the cooler lines and hoses put new tires and brakes on it replaced upper and lower intake manifold gaskets injector o rings and seals egr seals exhaust gaskets flushed the coolant twice replaced all the shocks that were original to the vehicle including the axel dampener replaced the rear sway bar and end links with poly bushings and I also have the poly bushings for the front that are yet to be replaced like I said I take amazing care of it even though it has body damage idc because it's still a great DD in my eyes and runs amazing the only issues it has is a few dents and the rear wiper motor and heater core is clogged but other than that it's perfect and everything works including the A/C

Same here I actually build computers, repair smartphones and tablets and I also do some light overclocking as well I started auto repair as a hobby and now, I have decided to pursue my ASE certification this year and either work at a shop or open my own shop
You sound like me in some ways. I can't just focus on a few things or hobbies. In my career I tended to get bored with what I was doing around every 8-9 years and needed to branch out and add something new. I have been self employed since the early 1990s and after living through the fear and uncertainty of starting my first business I was much more willing to take risks. I wish you all the best, and respect you greatly, for going down a new path. Some people have asked me about starting a business and I tell them it is liberating if it succeeds. It is like taking off a blind fold and being able to see so many opportunities that are in front of you or ones that will run right under your nose to take advantage of if you want to do so.

You sound like me in some ways. I can't just focus on a few things or hobbies. In my career I tended to get bored with what I was doing around every 8-9 years and needed to branch out and add something new. I have been self employed since the early 1990s and after living through the fear and uncertainty of starting my first business I was much more willing to take risks. I wish you all the best, and respect you greatly, for going down a new path. Some people have asked me about starting a business and I tell them it is liberating if it succeeds. It is like taking off a blind fold and being able to see so many opportunities that are in front of you or ones that will run right under your nose to take advantage of if you want to do so.
Thanks, and yeah, I mean I get bored easy I try to fix everything I can and if I can't I tear it down to figure out how it failed and what caused it to fail and this is a very scary path for me because I only get one shot to do this right and i don't want to mess it up so that's another reason I do YouTube videos that way one day maybe if something falls through I will have a backup plan and won't be homeless or broke

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't envy you. I am way passed trying to work on these new vehicles with all the computer and electronics. Back in the day I could drop a ford C4-C6 Mopar torqueflite and have it back in the vehicle in 2 hours. Best of luck on your ASE certification you will get it. Your toughest decision will be to open your own shop (buying equipment) or working for a shop/dealership.

Back