• Register Today It's free!

Radio antenna and Car cover!

LJP326

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
Radio antenna and Car cover! Ok, guys. Lets see if you can fix this one. I (husband helped) put a cover on my 2018 Explorer LTD, We unscrewed the antenna so the cover would fit. The antenna is in the car. I thought the system could not work if the antenna was removed but it does. So my question is, do I have to screw back the (original) antenna if the system works? If I want to cover the car after I put the antenna back, then I can't reach it as I need a ladder!!! I was going to make a slit in the cover where the antenna would poke out but I'm waiting to see what you guys have to say....understand all this?? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 'pigtail' antenna you unscrewed is basically for AM/FM radio. The GPS/Satellite antenna is in the base of the antenna. Depending on how far you are from a transmitter, it is not unusual to be able to pick up some stations with strong signals. The 'pigtail' antenna will help boost weak and distant signals on the AM/FM frequencies.

Peter

The 'pigtail' antenna you unscrewed is basically for AM/FM radio. The GPS/Satellite antenna is in the base of the antenna. Depending on how far you are from a transmitter, it is not unusual to be able to pick up some stations with strong signals. The 'pigtail' antenna will help boost weak and distant signals on the AM/FM frequencies.

Peter
Thanks, Peter. I KNEW you would know. So then we can safely put the cover on without the pigtail...good description....and I'll just keep the pigtail in the rear of the SUV. BTW, I love my 2018 LTD Explorer. Yeah maybe the tires but I've only got 11,200 miles and am debating when the lease is up on September 1, 2021, what to do....its not like the 2020 are being raved about. I know my 2018 was a July factory production...I asked! Thanks again

Back