• Register Today It's free!

Rattle can your rims?

High_Order1

Reaction score
City, State
near Oak Ridge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Jack Bauer Edition
I was reading a thread where someone said people had success spraypainting their rims with high temperature paint.

I would think it would look like twenty dammits, and not stand up to the heat cycle and washing.

So, someone dial me in. Is this just a steel wheel thing or can you do this with, oh, say, the stock 05 alloys?

-Shawn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was reading a thread where someone said people had success spraypainting their rims with high temperature paint.

I would think it would look like twenty dammits, and not stand up to the heat cycle and washing.

So, someone dial me in. Is this just a steel wheel thing or can you do this with, oh, say, the stock 05 alloys?

-Shawn

u mite be able to pull it off with some high temperature caliper paint if u rough up the surface a little bit with some steel wool or sandpaper... it would definitely be able to withstand the heat and abuse cuz the caliper paint i have on my brakes now isnt budging... its got a ceramic additive to make it harden and stay tough... make sure u put enough of the primer if u do it

the high temp paint comes in a spray can so it should be easy to apply
41WQMMVNGBL._AA280_.jpg

before the server crashed, I was reading a thread where a guy just shot his a few times with fusion.

I was at their website, and found they now have flat colors, camo, and other special purpose ones. <thinks>

Might be something I look into....

-Shawn

ive used fusion on my trim and its worked great but it has a few issues... it rubs off a bit easy and if ur rotating ur tires or something simple, when u have to knock off the lug covers u mite make some of the silver visible... also, the black paint fades in the sun overtime if u dont use a clearcoat and the clearcoat mite take some abuse from the heat and not offer as much coverage... i made the mistake of not clear-coating my trim when i painted it with fusion a while back and it was a big mistake cuz im eventually gunna have to start over... so bottom line, yes krylon will work and itll look good but it mite eventually mess up and ud have to eventually redo it... as they always say, do it rite the first time and ull never have to again

it will chip like crazy.

i painted my stock rims with rattle can on my old accord wich was my daily driver and had them for over a year w/o one scratch or one chip

(they were silver and gold/ sprayed them with flat black rim paint)

zzzzzzzz.jpg

griot's makes wheel pain that is supposed to be pretty good.

Back