Rattle Coming from Crank Pully

ExploringNC

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Hickory, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT, '91 EB
I have diagnosed a rattle coming from the crank pully(very bottom of motor). Is there something that can be checked or replaced without pulling the motor? This looks like alot of work that I can not do at this time because its my only vehicle. Should I be worried that this pully could self destruct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check to see if the bolt holding the pulley/damper to the crank has loosened.

I tried to wiggle the pulley but I could not feel any play. It sounds like a loose washer and not like a bad bearing. If there is more than one bolt you could be right.

Yes, only the one bolt. However, it is a torque to yield bolt; if you remove it, the bolt should be replaced with another TTY bolt.

I'm having a bottom-end rattle today as well!
it's a light metallic sound, so I replaced the solid idler pulley on top of the motor to no effect.
My next move is to pull the starter and see if it's rattling against the flywheel.
I'll let you know how it turns out in a few hours...

I'm having a bottom-end rattle today as well!
it's a light metallic sound, so I replaced the solid idler pulley on top of the motor to no effect.
My next move is to pull the starter and see if it's rattling against the flywheel.
I'll let you know how it turns out in a few hours...

Did you check the idler pulley?

Did you check the idler pulley?

absoloutely.. as it turns out, the noise is much, MUCH louder when underneath the truck, which lead me to believe it might have been coming from something tapping on the flywheel. I pulled the starter and nothing out of place there.
Worst case scenario- the timing tensioner on the back of the motor is bad.
I'll take it to a real mechanic tomorrow (something I am always loathe to do), and probably start my own damn thread, instead of jacking this one!

absoloutely.. as it turns out, the noise is much, MUCH louder when underneath the truck, which lead me to believe it might have been coming from something tapping on the flywheel. I pulled the starter and nothing out of place there.
Worst case scenario- the timing tensioner on the back of the motor is bad.
I'll take it to a real mechanic tomorrow (something I am always loathe to do), and probably start my own damn thread, instead of jacking this one!

Excuse my Ignorance here (im not to savvy)

but are you guys talking about the thing that is located at the front of the motor where the belt sits?

Excuse my Ignorance here (im not to savvy)

but are you guys talking about the thing that is located at the front of the motor where the belt sits?

yeah, the serpentine belt runs over no less than seven pulleys up at the front of the motor, if any one of the bearings inside those pulleys goes bad, it'll cause a rattle or other such sound.

To exploringNC- is there any reason you can't get at that pulley to tighten it without pulling the engine? I looked at mine and I figure I could get a wrench in there without too much hassle..

To exploringNC- is there any reason you can't get at that pulley to tighten it without pulling the engine? I looked at mine and I figure I could get a wrench in there without too much hassle..

Ya it looks like I can get to it but I just haven't done it yet.

i took mine to a certifiable wrench, and we made the determination that the noise is coming from the tensioner arm (the spring-loaded idler). So, I've got new parts for it, and will be installing later this week.

halfnuts, what is a "tensioner arm (the spring-loaded idler)." Is this where your noise is from & is it near the flywheel? The only tensioner arm i can think of is the belt pulley tensioner?

Back