Rattle In Exhaust Cold Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattle In Exhaust Cold Start

BlackOut33

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hey Guys

This morning when I woke up I could hear a little rattle coming from my exhaust 03 explorer v8 for a few seconds and then went away

Any ideas what the heck it could be?

I touched the exhaust when it was cold and it isnt loose or anything?

I greatly appreciate any feedback

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check all the heat shields on your exhaust. I have had them come loose in various locations. The shield on the catalytic converter is often the source of a rattle.

Wish I knew alot about vehicles how much would you think a mechanic would charge to check it out?

Wish I knew alot about vehicles how much would you think a mechanic would charge to check it out?

That $$$$ depends on the mechanic. If you are a regular customer, possibly nothing or you are looking at approx. 15-30 minute labor charge (based upon the hourly rate of the shop you are at) whether or not the mechanic just crawls under it to take a look or puts it up on the lift to do an inspection. Most would put it on the lift I would think. The heat shields are easy enough to check.

Also, if it is a loose heat shield, take a look at it and if it's in an easily accessible spot. If it is, it should be able to be tack welded back in place. Don't let them sell you a new exhaust unless it's inaccessible.

Hey guys got it checked out for free from my regular mechanic

Was my exhaust tip it wasent bolted right plus it was rusting so we put another chrome plated one on and used self tapping screws it's on very solid!

I couldn't find a stainless steel tip it's 2.5 in tried all part stores non have it
So for now I'm going to keep the one I got on now the new one and look around on the net.

I was looking at getting a Magnaflow exhaust system cat back but here in Canada they want 860.00 installed with the exhaust way to much $

So ill hold off for now and go from there lol

Thanks guys for all the help and he checked everything
It's all in good shape the heat shield its on tight !

Back