• Register Today It's free!

Re-clearcoat rims...

I finally got tired of looking at my stock OEM '04 rims and have decided to reclear them. I bought two refurbished ones because I'm cheap yet resourceful and need to do the next two on my own as they're still in good shape but have been weathered a bit.

I started wet sanding with 400 grit but it seems to be taking forever to get the brake staining and such off and work off the clear coat.

I tried a bit of acetone on a rag on the rim and let it sit for a bit and it started to dull out the clear coat/caused it to peel a bit but I was a little hesitant to continue.

All I want to do is get the clear off and not ruin any of the paint on it. I believe the stock 5 straight spoke rims have a mix of paint in the open areas and in that little divot and then the actual spoke is polished as well as the outer diameter of the rim. Am I correct to assume that?

I may have to match up the paint a little better too so any steps I should take I appreciate it. The new rims are a lighter silver where the old rims are more of a grey silver. I'm going to take the wheel cap to the auto paint store tomorrow to see if I can get a closer colour.

I assume I need to mask the rim off, prime and then paint. Let dry and then clear.

Is there any way to get the black marks on the rim off a little better (besides sandblasting and starting from scratch?

I know I can do this, just need a little guidance because I don't do this sort of stuff all the time.

I blew a line with my pressure washer (wrong tip!) on my front bumper last year and after hours of sanding and feathering the paint in it turned out pretty good. Would have been better if the paint actually matched perfectly but you can hardly tell unless you're staring at it.

Anyways, appreciate your suggests as I see people using paint stripper and such and am a little leary at using it if it's gonna eat up the paint.

Forgot to ask, the paint on the rims....it is a metal specked paint. It's not my imagination that the paint looks sorta sparkly right but the spokes 'flat' in appearance....?

Back
Top Bottom