Craigerz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 4x4
Hello all,

I am in the process of replacing both rear door latches. Both broke within a week of each other. I see it's a common problem on these. So I took the accuator out hoping that would have been the problem (wasn't) but not putting them back anyways so the back doors will just need to be unlocked by hand. No big deal there's no rear seat anyways.

So taking off the latches, there is a plug on the actual latch itself with I think 2 green wires running to it. My guess is that this would be for the alarm system or maybe the door ajar light? Anyone know what the plug on the rear door latches (and I assume the fronts also) are for and any harm in leaving them unplugged?

I believe you are correct, for the door ajar and possibly the alarm. I'm sure you could rig a jumper if removing them did cause a problem like the lights staying on or the alarm system going off. Consulting your wiring diagram may shed some light on this.

Oh good call... I was going to run jumper if needed, but I never thought about checking to see if the dome lights went off, the battery has been disconnected since Ive been working on it. Ill hook it back up when I get home and check. My main concern really was if it had to do with the alarm system and leaving it unplugged or jumping it because my alarm is already possessed....

Back