Rear end gear ratio? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end gear ratio?

:(i have a 1998 ford explorer 4x4 4.0 v6 sohc need to find out the axle ratio is on the back. on the door it has axle D4:( can someone tell me wut it is

3.73 - limited slip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need to check the metal tabs on the rear axle. They are under the rear cover bolts. One is a sequence number and the other is the axle ratio as well as the gear size. You can goggle the numbers for a quick answer.

:(i have a 1998 ford explorer 4x4 4.0 v6 sohc need to find out the axle ratio is on the back. on the door it has axle D4:( can someone tell me wut it is

If you go under the car and look on the differential casing itself, you should see a metal tag attached to one of the bolts that has a bunch of numbers and letters. Do a search on the forums to find out what those numbers and letters tell you. I know that mine says on the lower half of the tag, 3L73 88. That tells me that I have 3.73 gearing with a LS and 8.8" gears. Hope that helps!

I have an 02 exlorer 4.0 sohc v6 xlt with the towing package 2 wheel drive. I'm gonna be rebuilding the diff soon and wanted to put the 4.10 gears or something to get some more torque. Does anybody know what diffs or gears from another diff will fit in there?

My explorer at 60 mph is at 1800rpm with OD on. OD off its at 2500rpm. Anyone know what gears I may have?? Sorry i have been told my font is ginormous. Acannot change the size. I am not intending to "yell" lol, as I have been told. Thanks for any help fellas..

On the diff tag it says 355 88 3k30 does that mean I have 355 gears?

I see others with an L in the last sequence of numbers meaning limited slip. What would the k mean?

Just the serial number. You have an open differential 3.55 gears. Very common.

Back