• Register Today It's free!

Gear ratio advice???

Amazingss1287

Reaction score
City, State
Claremont Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Well ive heard alot of info about what ratio rear end your ex has. well i know mine has a 3.73 rear end, and it had a limited slip and a tow package all put in by ford like a day after it was bought. well im soon going to be switching from my dunlop 31X10.50X15's to 33X12.50X15 kuhmo mt's. i was wondering if my rear end is set up properly to have 33's without re-gearing. also what major effects do these gears have. im 17 and i know my explorer very well, but saldy i dont know much about gearing. not yet at least :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.10's ....but i'm sure a lot of people run those size tires with 3.73. Gearing is to cars like a 10 speed is to a bike. Try taking off up a hill in fifth gear on a bike. A gasoline engine does not make a lot of torque at low rpm so it needs to turn over faster to make torque. So to get the vehical moving the engine has to turn over faster just like riding a bike. When you take off on a bike you want it in 1st gear so the person (engine) can turn over more rpm's to get going. When you go to a larger tire it works the engine harder to get going so now you want to go to a lower ratio like a 4.10 There is a lot more to it. If you research you will find out a lot more.

You are 2WD? Just asking since you only mentioned the rear end. :)

Amazingss1287 said:
yea im 2wd... ive been doing alot of searching and i discovered a website which puts things in eay terms.... take a look.............http://www.4x4spot.com/gear_ratio_guide.htm

Gald to hear you are doing the searching. I have a similar one. did you notice how your rpm dropped down doing the same mph with the larger tires. Thats what I was trying to say. So a 4.10 would be close to bringing your rpm back up at that mph.

so are you saying that i should keep my 3.73 or convert to a 4.10? bc right now 90% of my driving is city.. bc everything is close.. school, work etc.. but i know in about a year ill be going to college and thats going to be pretty far, and it will require me to use the freeway on a dialy basis.

I run 32's with 3.73's

I wish I had 4.10's allready....With 33's mine would be a dog.

Racerx70 said:
I run 32's with 3.73's

I wish I had 4.10's allready....With 33's mine would be a dog.

I think he just answered your question. Not to mention it would put more stress on your driveline in the city stopping and then trying to get all that weight back up to speed if you did not match your gears to your tire diameter. 4.10 all the way

how muc would it cost to convert.. bc im gunna have my 33's by the end of the summer

well just the other day i priced 4.56 gears for mine and its 120 for front and 120 for rear! right now im runnin 33's with 3.55... i HATE it!

dreamr said:
:) I run 4.56 with 33's and am very hapyy with it

Now your talkin!!!!

right now i am running 3.50s with 35s. Im still trying to decide if i want 4.10s or 4.56s, because i have a c6 3speed tranny, and i need to be able to cruise 60-65 at a comfortable rpm.

C6, in third gear is that 1 to 1 or is it an OD?

i beleive 1 to 1. though im not certain
right now with the 3.50s, 315/75/16s, i cruise 55-60 at about 2500-2700 rpm

That seems like a lot of rpm's with a 3.50 and 35's........2500 to 2700 at 55 to 60?

I would think with a true 35's and 3.50 gears you would do around 2200 at 65. Just found out it has the same ratio gears as a c4 according to Advanced adapters chart which is 1 to 1 in 3rd.

i know that has to be sluggish... 33's with 3.50 gears... i have 33's with 3.55's and i HATE it... it seems like im trying to pull a aircraft carrier thats been sunk since 1942 haha.. hmm 4.56 if i were you! mines on the way ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any non OD transmission (ex. C6) is a 1:1 ratio. That applies to the C3, C4, C5 etc.

ExplorerJimbo: That dragging a carrier reminds me of that oil commercial where the cars are dragging anchors and safes that slow them down. :p

Back