Rear end noises | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end noises

sphan1

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanna thank whomever that built this site. I've been researching and looking for help regarding the 1992 Aerostar Van. Heres my problem; when driving the vehicle, foot on gas pedal, there is no noise. However once I lift my foot of the gas pedal, there's a grinding, clunking noise that comes from the rear. I inspected the problem a lot closer. Putting the rear on jack stands and listening the the sound. Foot on pedal; no noise, Foot off pedal the noise occurs. I am looking for lots of advice on where to start. Not sure what it can be. I worked on lots of compact and sedan vehicles but not vans. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Sounds like so many of the explorer rear diffs.
I would say the bearings in your rear differential are toast and your looking at either rebuilding it or replacing it with one for a junkyard. Be forewarned that when you get used parts, you do take a chance that the problem you had is present in the replacement you just bought.
www.car-part.com will give you junkyards near you with replacements and pricing. If you go that route, ask them if they will give a short warranty, the place where I got my replacement gave me a 90 day. Replacement axle should have the same ratio as the one you have in the van now, just to avoid any speedo issues

@my pos mounty @BrooklynBay THANKS!!!! I am in the process of checking out my local junk yards now to see what is more feasible. I appreciate both of you two replying to this this post. Thanks once more, now its time to go to work on this diff.

Back