• Register Today It's free!

idatastart with drone mobile

Cusefan78

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse,ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 base
been researching remote starters for my 13 ex. after playing with the ford access and seeing the cost i decided to talk to my buddies who owns an aftermarket shop near me. ended up walking out with a plug and play idatastart unit with a single button remote plus the drone mobile kit. got home and installed it in an hour and a half. most of the time was spent zip tying and making sure everything is neat. anyway i didn't think of taking pics till i was done but ill give you a quick run down. took off the panel under the steering wheel. the black plastic panel that is under the dash. the aluminum panel behind that then i took the cover off the steering rack. think all together it was like 8 bolts. next i unplugged the three connections for the ignition and plug in the rs t harness. then ran the antenna up the pillar and under the head liner to the rear view mirror. then installed the two wires to the obd2. next i connected two wire to the door pin wire. one for each side of the wire. next connect the two wires for the door lock and unlock. finally the wire for the parking lights. parking lights require a relay, but its very straight forward. finally i flashed the rs module on my computer and installed that. programming the module was very easy. key one in, turn it to on wait for green light. turn off then back on then done. for the rs remotes all you need to do is put the key in, turn to on then off 5 times press the button on the remote and done. next i plugged in the drone mobile module, downloaded the app. the app requires you to make an account and enter the serial number. after that you are ready to go. i can now start, unlock, lock, and check interior temp from anywhere in the world. forgot to mention i don't need the rs fobs but decided to get them for when i don't bring my phone with me and wanted the long range(1 mile). i can also start the car with the pats key by pressing lock three times.
sounds tough but it was very easy. all the connections are right around the fuse panel under the drivers side dash mins the t harness which is behind the ignition.
Yes i could have done the ford unit but honestly why, its not as good, more expensive, yearly service is more. plus i would have had to run up to the dealer to have my buddy turn on the crap pats rs and i would still have had to do the upgraded rs antenna package, buy new pats keys..........

website for the rs, harness, and remotes http://idatalink.com
website from the drone mobile dr3400 http://www.dronemobile.com
FCBF5A44-0FE1-49DA-BA0D-7156AB0ECBC2_zpscotbdzgb.png

3D03A3A8-7238-45A9-A715-9D812923D19B_zpssthyb4qw.jpg

9097D05D-3989-4E9D-B1DB-32B94665186E_zpsozqn7lpd.jpg
DCA7D9F9-643C-42A9-9C5C-F01D38370B8D_zps1qynokzt.jpg
729C2F4E-79A4-40E4-8B47-B6FBF9519399_zps6z0s8hs7.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After spending $500 for the Ford OEM Remote Cellular Kit, and then seeing (and using at work) the cost of the DroneMobile Kit I would never buy the Ford Kit again.

DroneMobile is the same $49/year subscription, and the feature set, GUI, and install is superior to the Ford OEM Kit.

DroneMobile actually updates their App unlike OEM.

After spending $500 for the Ford OEM Remote Cellular Kit, and then seeing (and using at work) the cost of the DroneMobile Kit I would never buy the Ford Kit again.

DroneMobile is the same $49/year subscription, and the feature set, GUI, and install is superior to the Ford OEM Kit.

DroneMobile actually updates their App unlike OEM.
Yeah I couldn't believe the price of the ford kit. what's also nice about the drone kit is if you have the adsusb cable you have full control over all the options.

I recently found out that changes to the 2017 model year Explorer electrical architecture have made it more difficult to use anything but OEM add ons.

Not saying you cant, just saying Ford has made it so their own OEM Vehicle Security System (VSS) and cellular start unit (RMU) just plug and play.

Trying to add aftermarket CompuStar and DroneMObile on some 2017 PI Utility's is proving to be difficult and some features may not be available so before you buy a kit other then OEM make sure you confirm all advertised functionality.

I recently found out that changes to the 2017 model year Explorer electrical architecture have made it more difficult to use anything but OEM add ons.

Not saying you cant, just saying Ford has made it so their own OEM Vehicle Security System (VSS) and cellular start unit (RMU) just plug and play.

Trying to add aftermarket CompuStar and DroneMObile on some 2017 PI Utility's is proving to be difficult and some features may not be available so before you buy a kit other then OEM make sure you confirm all advertised functionality.
In a few months after markets will have full functionality. It always takes a bit to for them to catch up.

Back