rear leaf question???

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
i would like to know if I can use a regular threaded bolt to hold the pack together. the factory bold had a round head and non thread shaft till the end where the threads where. I went and torched that off cause I installed a pro-comp add a leaf and then used the bolt that came with it.
No I want to remove the add-a-leaf and i need a bolt to hold the pack together.
should i go to ford and get a factory bolt or can i just use an bolt and grind the head down so its round????

will it be strong enough?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The head of that bolt is round to fit in a hole in the bottom of the spring perch. If you do get a non-dealership replacement bolt make sure it fits in the hole tightly so your rear end doesn't shift around.

Pur Pony- you are the man! i love your explorer, well actually, i realy love the motor. put that baby in 89' lx 5.0 w/ 3.73's, shortened pullies, tremic tranny, w/ 3" pipes hollowed out cats(b/c you have to have something that at least looks like one in GA) and an x-pipe set up and you would really be the man. i would marry you just to ride in that car. but still, your explorer is realy sweet!!!!!

p.s.-make sure you get grade "A" bolts or the threads are going to strip when you put everything back together(from personal experience)

olivesman-
how does a 93 lx sounds with 3.55's and a TKO 3550 and 14lbs of boost sound? thats whats sitting in my garage for the summer.hehe

but my explorer is a very fun daily driver

drop the 355's and get 373's.. much better =)

are you looking to adopt?

depends - how old- where from- and will you contribute to my expensive hobbies-???? :)

you got the notch back or the hatch back?
i had an 87 notchback 5.0 my friend wrecked it so now its gone =(

PUR-a standard 3/8" bolt head will fit in the perch hole. The stock bolt head is smaller than the perch hole for alignment purposes.

its a hatch

its in pieces right now- motors out, no interior... i am installing a sanja performance body kit (SN-95) they copied the 94+ front and rear bumpers and made them to fit a 87-93. and I have the cervini cobra R hood and steeda race wing.
and im getting it painted 2001 mercedes brillant silver with cobra R rims, baer brakes- 5 lug, and MM suspension kit. hopefully dont by summer

View

View

View

View

sweet.. i had a 2" cowl on mine i wanted the four but i didnt think it would look right... hopefully by next summer iwill have another one.. i love little project cars

Back