Rear liftgate won't open | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear liftgate won't open

Clip popped of handle (2001 XLT)

Mike, thanks for the update. I was able to open the back easily with your instructions. I will check with Ford to see if I can get just the yellow clip otherwise I'll call Autozone.

Mike, thanks for the update. I was able to open the back easily with your instructions. I will check with Ford to see if I can get just the yellow clip otherwise I'll call Autozone.

my Ford dealer couldn't locate the 2000/2001 part number, but the parts guy said it looked like the same part that's used on newer models. he sold me one for around $3-$4 and it worked great. be sure to lube everything up real well. lack of lube is what causes the plastic clip to break in the first place.

I may be able to help you here, since I went through this about 6 months ago :confused:

First off, the lift gate on my '99 would not open, yet the window would. The lock for the window was fully functional which gave me every indication that the power lock was fine. Here's what I found during troubleshooting:

I lifted the rear glass and pryed back the plastic interior panel on the lift gate, being careful not to break the panel, and trying not to distort it too badly. Focus your attention on the area just below the window latch. Below it, inside the door frame, there are two threaded rods. One is about 4" in length and dangles from the lift gate door handle. The other is significantly longer and extends upward from the lift gate latching mechanism. The two are supposed to be connected via a little clip made of yellow plastic. Somehow, the plastic clip on mine had opened up and disconnected the handle from the latch. The door handle felt like it was locked (e.g. no tension when I tried to open it)... but it was actually just moving freely inside the door.

To fix it, I worked my hand and forearm in between the panel and the door (NOT comfortable at all) and used a pair of needle-nose pliers to grip the threaded rod for the latch. It is a pain in the ass, but take your time and make sure you have a good grip on the rod (AND MAKE SURE THE DOOR IS UNLOCKED ;) ) Pull upwards on the latch rod with the pliers, and the lift gate should open.

With the lift gate open, you should be able to remove the interior panel completely. Remove the two screws that attach the interior handle, and the rest of the interior panel is held in with plastic and metal retaining clips. At this point, it's a piece o' cake.

Luckily, the plastic clip on mine had just popped loose. I simply inserted both threaded rods back into it, and snapped it back together.

The most difficult part is using the "needle-nose plier manual override" to open the lift gate in the first place :D

Hope this helps you out.
damn having a similar problem and sounds like this is my solution. doesnt sound like fun :(

Yellow Plastic Piece

Has anyone found where to purchase that yellow plastic piece? I've searched the internet but have come up empty. I've got to take my Edge in for warranty work on Monday. I'll ask the parts department about it. I've "fixed" that blame part several times now... I guess its time to get the right piece!
I found the magic piece, after spending hours searching online to no true avail-a lot of similar ones-but they have to be for the same rod size, which I believe is 6mmx1- Ford part #AC2Z-6321952-B-----retainer. This piece cost $9.99 at Ford but works perfectly. Problem solved. Don't forget to lubricate all of the moving parts at this time.

Back