• Register Today It's free!

Rear Lowering Block Alternatives

Cypher

Reaction score
City, State
Kingfisher, Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
This is just a shot (and may get flamed) but I have searched and came up with nothing. Is there anyway, that cost under 100 or less to lower the back just a little bit (even 1/2 an inch would be fine). For example, is it possible to put something like a hockey puck to use as a lowering block? Is there a bolt that goes through the leaf springs to secure it? Would it squeek if it got wet? I've never taken the leafs off so i dont know much about them. I know the torsion twist for the front, i was just wondering about the rear.

Edit: Its a 98' 4 door, 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No you DO NOT want to use a hockey puck as a lowering block.
Lowering blocks should cost $35-40 and new u-bolts around $15.
I don't know where you are coming up with $100.

All I can find is the entire kit, front and back, and its $170. I was just looking for explorer lowering blocks, i guess i need to look for a universal lowering block. Does any block work with the explorer?

You should have no problem finding a universal rear lowering block kit.
Local parts stores might have them.
Summit Racing for sure will have them. www.summitracing.com

I have purchased 2 sets (3" & 2") of lowering blocks, and am about to buy a 3rd (1") set...the weight of the stereo causes me to bottom out (Tires to top of wheel well) even when I just have my daughter in the back, she's only 9!...

And even with the purchase of the 3rd set of blocks, I will have only spent $75...

Drop blocks are CHEAP....they can be found on the shelf at AutoZone, Checker/Shucks/Kragen, NAPA, or even a 4x4 speciality shop (as they are also LIFT blocks when going onto a SOA (Spring Over Axle) vehicle.

Ryan

Ebay is also an option as I picked up a set of 2" and ubolts for $32.

Tim

Steeda has a lowering kit, 1.5" for about $50.

I got my 3" drop blocks at autozone for I think 45 or so. It's on the website. you can type in lowering blocks and get some prices. They are right on the shelf. No need to order them.

i used to have blocks

i used to have blocks but with the weight of the stereo in the rear and the low profile tires my rims got jacked up. i suggest you switch to airbags cause the blocks are too hard

cruisincali said:
i used to have blocks but with the weight of the stereo in the rear and the low profile tires my rims got jacked up. i suggest you switch to airbags cause the blocks are too hard
Blocks make it no "harder" than without.

you think that having blocks contributed to your rims getting bent? buy some decent wheels man

A block is made just as hard as the leaf springs that are there also.

StealthEsUv said:
A block is made just as hard as the leaf springs that are there also.
Not true. the cheap cast alum, blocks that peps and AZ carry will crack, the u-bolts will not fit over the axle tube without bending them.
The EE kit uses billit blocks and the u-bolts fit properly.

some people say that the cheap u-bolts don't fit etc.-

i say don't you have any tools or creativity?

If you find a sport, steal the leaf spacers out of them. They are in half inch incriments.

expo5.0 said:
some people say that the cheap u-bolts don't fit etc.-

i say don't you have any tools or creativity?
have plenty of tools and creativity, but if it don't fit, don't force it

If it don't fit, break out the friggin' torch.

Use a hammer, tap the U-bolt into place.

Use a Sliding Bar Clamp ( the newer Trigger Type ) to bring the ends closer together again..

Proceed with the job at hand...

Ryan

Back