rear seat fold down lever | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear seat fold down lever

ear10253

Reaction score
my rear seat fold down lever doesn't engage and the rear seat won't fold down is there a way to fix this economically?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2nd row? the handle brakes on the 2nd row. if your talking about the cargo area those handles also brake. see whats broken.

I wish I could see what's broken. It's the second row or back seat on the 60% side and the lever just moves up and down but doesn't engage. It's as though something is striped.

I wish I could see what's broken. It's the second row or back seat on the 60% side and the lever just moves up and down but doesn't engage. It's as though something is striped.

the physical lever is broken, unbolt the 1 torx bolt holding it in and see. you need a new leveler.

I fixed my 95 Limited rear seat. First you have to remove the 60 side of the seat. There are six bolt holding it down. I used a 3/4 and a 19/32 deep well ssocket plus an extension. This is a little hard to do by yourself. Put the seat on the ground. Stand behind the seat. On the right side you'll see the dual control levers. Turn the seat over so you can get to the levers easily. You'll see a roller wheel with a cable attached. Pull the cable stop out the wheel with a par of needle nosed pliers. The wheel slides off. There are 2 notches on the wheel. You need to make a new notch between the existing notches. Put the wheel back on and re-install the cable stop. Re-install the rear seat. What happens is over time, the cable stretches and won't let the left side of the seat release. If your mechanically inclined, it takes about 45 minutes. Good luck!

the physical lever is broken, unbolt the 1 torx bolt holding it in and see. you need a new leveler.

Anyone have a good source for new 2nd row seat levers besides the dealer? I'd love to get a metal one so the plastic wouldn't break again.

Finally broke down and bought a new handle after getting annoyed with vice grips. Upon comparison to old handle, the plastic molding has been beefed up a little. Should last longer than the original hopefully.

Quick Fix for Rear Seat Lever Issue

On the passenger side 2nd row rear seat here is a fix for the hard lever pull to fold down the seat. My hand lever was stripped and hard to turn with pliers. Got a new lever on ebay for around 20 bux and used some wd40 on the latches.

Under the seat inside there is a cable that is connected to a lever to unlatch the seat. The lever goes too far down and gets stuck. Push the lever back up and put a spilt shot fishing weight on the end of the cable. It prevents the latch from going too far down and getting stuck. I put a zip tie on there also

Take out the 2 front bolts and the seat will tilt up for better access.
I removed 2 front and 3 back bolts and moved the seat over a few inches to get the hand lever screw in.

I don't fold the seat down very often and there is definitely something better than the split shot but that was all I had in my tackle box. Zip ties may work.

Attachments

• 20160512_152600.jpg
    20160512_152600.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 949

Back