Rear seat stuck in down position | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear seat stuck in down position

CasRies

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Greetings. I am new to the site and I apologize if this isn't the correct spot to post this. Still trying to navigate the site. I

I have a 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer. the two seat rear fold down seat is stuck in the fold down position. It will move from the cargo position up but the seat back will not release/fold up. Not sure if it is something with the cable or what? Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the quick reply but the issue is not with the 3rd row seats but the manual fold down seats. Specifically the two seater behind the passenger front seat. The seat folded down fine and folded down to the cargo position. When I went to put the seat back in the upright position, it would only fold up with the seatback in the down position. When I pull the seatback to try and put it upright, it seems to be in some sort of a locked down position.

Thanks for the quick reply but the issue is not with the 3rd row seats but the manual fold down seats. Specifically the two seater behind the passenger front seat. The seat folded down fine and folded down to the cargo position. When I went to put the seat back in the upright position, it would only fold up with the seatback in the down position. When I pull the seatback to try and put it upright, it seems to be in some sort of a locked down position.

Welcome to the forum, CasRies. If you're still having difficulty with the seats, it might be a good idea to get your dealership involved. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Thank you for the reply. I have about 85K miles on the truck and have owned it for 3 years so I am out of warranty. I pulled the cover plates off on both sides of the seat where the backrest and the seat cushion articulates. When I try to pull the backrest into the upright position, it will lift an inch or two and then binds up. I may go to the dealer but thought I would try to solve this on my own first. Any suggestions are appreciated.

...I may go to the dealer but thought I would try to solve this on my own first...

Keep us in the loop, CasRies. I'll be able to check out some ways to help once you've had your Explorer diagnosed by the dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thank you for your follow up. I was able to fix this issue last night. I am not sure what did the trick. I think it was when I folded/flipped the complete seat assembly up/forward (like if you were going to step into the truck to access the 3rd row seats). I then pulled the cargo handle as the seat assy was in that forward position. The seat then slid forward even more and everything went loose. When I reversed the process to put the seat assy back in place, everything was secure and the seat back went up with no problem. I suspect one of the cables were bound up or something.

Thank you for your follow up. I was able to fix this issue last night. I am not sure what did the trick. I think it was when I folded/flipped the complete seat assembly up/forward (like if you were going to step into the truck to access the 3rd row seats). I then pulled the cargo handle as the seat assy was in that forward position. The seat then slid forward even more and everything went loose. When I reversed the process to put the seat assy back in place, everything was secure and the seat back went up with no problem. I suspect one of the cables were bound up or something.

Great news, CasRies; I'm glad to see you were able to get to the bottom of this! Thanks for sharing your results with us. :thumbsup:

Crystal

If you don't slam the seats down after accessing the 3rd row I have seem them do that. It's like the seat doesn't know it's latched back down and won't let anything else work.

Back