Rear spoiler | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear spoiler

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Other than an after market brand from what I've been told is that it is a dealer option and install. Here is a pic of the dealer install that I have on my '98, I've only seen 2 like it in last five years I've had mine so they are not very common.

Temp_028.jpg

Mine is a Windjammer by Lund.

Attachments

• wing.jpg
    wing.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,173
  • wingrearview.jpg
    wingrearview.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,151

I ahve the same one as AL

Lucal3-190311.jpg

I am in the process of making this one from the instructions I got from a friend from

Making a Wing

I have the Ford OEM one on my 93 Sport, which is similar to the one ExploringNC has. I have to say I'm pleased that it's actually functional. The downward-deflecting design definitely keeps the back window cleaner (compared to my 93 XLT without one) and I'm convinced the way it adjusts the airflow helps improve my gas mileage.

Other than an after market brand from what I've been told is that it is a dealer option and install. Here is a pic of the dealer install that I have on my '98, I've only seen 2 like it in last five years I've had mine so they are not very common.

I have the same one. Scored it prepainted in my colour off eBay and had it trans-shipped with help from my good buddy jtsmith. I also had one on my Sport. I like it. Not everyone's cup of tea but it is OEM and it looks like it. High quality piece. I was going to do the Windjammer, but I saw one in person and wasn't enamored with it. Looked too much like plastic to me (because it is).

The Saleen wings are as rare as the dodo. One sold on eBay recently (by a forum poster to a forum poster). Not cheap.

IF in the rare chance you do find a Saleen wing get out your check book.
They go for A LOT of money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is not a lot out there to be had.

Thanks so much for all the help. I just ordered the Windjammer by Lund. I got it on Amazon for $51 & free shipping.

I wanted to ask you guys that have The Windjammer, I see in the description it can be mounted with 3M adhesive tape or with screws. Which way did you guys go? I would be a little afraid of the 3M tape! Although, it is nice and dry here in Vegas, & it would stick good, but I think I would feel better with the screws.

Thanks again!! :thumbsup:

tape

I appreciate the feedback!! Thanks again! :D

tape going on four years now and I only had to re do it once because I put on a new lift gate.
Tips to make the tape work.
Make sure the area is clean clean clean. Wipe it down with a tar wax and grease remover. Stick it once and only once. Press real hard to get the adheasives to release. Do it on a nice warm day. 60-80 degrees is the best bet.

tape going on four years now and I only had to re do it once because I put on a new lift gate.
Tips to make the tape work.
Make sure the area is clean clean clean. Wipe it down with a tar wax and grease remover. Stick it once and only once. Press real hard to get the adheasives to release. Do it on a nice warm day. 60-80 degrees is the best bet.

Thanks for the tips!! ;)

Well I put my spoiler on today & it looks cool! It does'nt fit exactly perfect & I feel like the tape may give out with a little time, so I used the screws. The instructions say to use a 3/16" drill bit, & with the screws they gave me, the holes were gonna be too big!! I did one & had to find a larger screw to use. The other 3, I used a much smaller bit & it's perfect!! I also took off my 2 roof rack thingies. There was too much clutter. Much better now. I will send picks 2moro!!

Well it's been a little more than a couple of days but here are some pics anyway.

Attachments

• moto_0055.jpg
    moto_0055.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 983
  • moto_0065.jpg
    moto_0065.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 948

Is it that easy to buy one install one of these spoilers? I'll check amazon (or does anyone else have a suggestion to find a better selection) to see if I can find one that would match a '99 spruce green eddie bauer explorer. I've seen these on a number of Explorers here and I think it adds a nice added detail. 51 dollars seems cheap too.

it is a cake instal.
Bring a buddy and use masking tape and a tape measure to get the perfect alignment.

Clean the area real well. Press real hard and get the adhesive to relaese.

Ya gotta get it painted to match though.

where can you get one? when i was painting my truck, i phone a few places, and looked at lund's page, and couldn't find one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got mine at explorerexpress.com years ago

Back