Rear uneven due to frame damage, possible fixes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear uneven due to frame damage, possible fixes

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
My Explorer has a rebuilt title due to an impact to the passenger side rear that caused some frame damage. No big deal to me, this is just my winter vehicle. However, I noticed that the truck has a lean when looking from the rear. Thought it was the classic Explorer lean (drivers side lower), but after taking some measurements, it's more than that. Ride height at all corners is 32" from the ground to fender, except on the passenger side rear, which measures 33". I then measured from the ground to the top shackle bolt, in which the passenger side rear was 1" higher than the other side. This is why the rear is unlevel.

Now I'm trying to decide the best way to level it out. Any potential suspension fixes involve adding something to the passenger side only to even it out...which doesn't sit right with me. Anything else I could try?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most body shops have a "frame machine" which they could use to straighten it for you. get a quote first, expect to pay about $300 if you find a good deal (ive had this done a couple times)

personally, unless it's causing other problems, i'd probably just leave it the way it is.

Yeah I'm not taking my $1400 explorer to get the frame straightened...lol.

I could do things like a shackle or AAL on the passenger side, but I'm not sure how that would affect the ride characteristics.

why not? i took my $0 off-road only bronco to get the frame straightened after this happend
crashed.jpg

That damn tree...

If it rides and handles ok and doesn't eat up tires, I'd live with it - but it seems like short money to fix it right.

The thing is, the bumper is perfectly straight and the frame on that side doesn't seem too damaged (at least not to the tune of 1")

I will investigate further today.

Maybe someone already worked it and that's as close as they got it with a tree and a chain.

Probably. The thing is, when I look at the frame rail, it doesn't visually look like it's an inch too high, and as I mentioned, the bumper is perfectly aligned with the body, so I'm sort of stumped here.

just the way it sits i see car come in all the time at the garage that only 3 of the lift arms hit and the other is any where from 1 to 2 inch of the other arm i would not wory about it see if they can align it if they can your good

What about removing the overload spring on one side?

I'm not sure about your spring set-up but it sounds risky as far as handling and I'm not sure it would work in the first place. The only place I've ever seen different suspension from right to left is on a track where they're only turning one way.

I think I'll just leave it be.

Back