• Register Today It's free!

Rear Upper Ball Joints

koletsos

Reaction score
City, State
Mesquite, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT 4x4
I have a good buddy that is a great mechanic, we've replaced both rear hubs and bearing, and both Front Upper Ball Joints. He says I need to replace the REAR Upper Ball Joints, but neither he nor I can find them anywhere. I have read this forum and keep seeing folks saying it can be done, but they always reference the Front. So, can the REAR UPPER BALL JOINTS be replaced? If yes, please tell me where I can find them. He's got the tools and the know how, I've got the beer, we just need the parts. Thanks to anyone who can help me on this. By the way, 2002 XLT 4x4, 110k miles. And this is my first post, but have gotten a lot of great advice from the forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm almost positive you need to replace the entire upper arm assembly with integral ball joint. You need to get it from the dealer.

Tom

Thanks Tom, that's what I was finding too. I took it to Firestone and they were able to do an alignment, but had to add a shim kit to bring the camber into spec.

I know this because I replaced one rear upper arm with ball joint!

I know this because I replaced one rear upper arm with ball joint!
Napa sold me an upper rear ball joint, but it’s does not want to come out even with 200 pounds of tourqe.

Two things:
1-This thread was 10 years old

2-You will need a ball joint remover tool to install just a rear upper ball joint (once the knuckle is removed) Or you can just order a complete upper control arm. They are readily available aftermarket now. No need to go to the dealer anymore.

Two things:
1-This thread was 10 years old

2-You will need a ball joint remover tool to install just a rear upper ball joint (once the knuckle is removed) Or you can just order a complete upper control arm. They are readily available aftermarket now. No need to go to the dealer anymore.

200 pounds of torque won’t remove them and a ball joint press won’t remove them. Any advice?

Purchase a rear upper control arm, will get you new bushings and a ball joint already installed.

Also 200 ft lbs is not enough to remove a pressed in ball joint. My 400ft lb battery impact gun barely does it, usually need a good air impact gun.

Purchase a rear upper control arm, will get you new bushings and a ball joint already installed.

Also 200 ft lbs is not enough to remove a pressed in ball joint. My 400ft lb battery impact gun barely does it, usually need a good air impact gun.
my dad has a torque wrench that goes up to 500 pounds. I got it them out. the middle of the ball joint started to get pressed out the other side. the ball joint press kit did have the correct collits to press the new one back in, it will take you some time to figure out the combination, the hard part is making it all fit in there without everything alling apart an expra set of hands or a jack might come in handy. Dad was concerned that I might break the press kit that I rented.

61600843295__7AE37FC8-7CA4-47DB-9AA6-D930B01B77CC.JPG

61600465416__D2D472D7-7860-49F9-8C85-5443BB445BCE.JPG

Seems easier/better to get the entire control arm.

I have a good buddy that is a great mechanic, we've replaced both rear hubs and bearing, and both Front Upper Ball Joints. He says I need to replace the REAR Upper Ball Joints, but neither he nor I can find them anywhere. I have read this forum and keep seeing folks saying it can be done, but they always reference the Front. So, can the REAR UPPER BALL JOINTS be replaced? If yes, please tell me where I can find them. He's got the tools and the know how, I've got the beer, we just need the parts. Thanks to anyone who can help me on this. By the way, 2002 XLT 4x4, 110k miles. And this is my first post, but have gotten a lot of great advice from the forum.
yes they can be done, they are integrated into the control arm just like the fronts so the entire control arm has to be done, did my driver side rear when i replace the bearing and axle. got mine off rock auto.

Back