Rear wheel bearings on 2003 Explorer - how much shop time for bearings only | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wheel bearings on 2003 Explorer - how much shop time for bearings only

the hub can be taken out easily by a hub grappler type setup using an impact or using the brake rotor (smash the upper plate using a sledge hammer - Fordtechmackulo used this technique) to support the knuckle and a 12 ton press. In my case I have a hub grappler, FWD bearing adapters and a craftsman 1/2" portable impact did the job and was able to re-use the hub. It's the outer race that's stuck to the knuckle that's tricky to press out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the hub can be taken out easily by a hub grappler type setup using an impact or using the brake rotor (smash the upper plate using a sledge hammer - Fordtechmackulo used this technique) to support the knuckle and a 12 ton press. In my case I have a hub grappler, FWD bearing adapters and a craftsman 1/2" portable impact did the job and was able to re-use the hub. It's the outer race that's stuck to the knuckle that's tricky to press out.
"the hub can be taken out easily " - that right there is good for a laugh.

@Hugh Janus
Perhaps so. I may have lucked out, as both sides pressed out of the knuckle fairly easily, nowhere near taxing my 20 ton press. The trick was to figure out a way to adequately support the knuckle, as the diameter of the lug hub exceeds the spacing between press supports. imp

it's funny but they are, if you have the proper tools. I did this twice (both removal and install) and the hub is a piece of cake. I'm not even using a press. The outer race is a PITA in my experience.

Most of the mistake here is that if you fail to position the adapters at the other side of the hub you are pulling the inner race of the bearing with it which makes it difficult.. It's just a matter of understanding how this thing is assembled.

14212009_1069144883153662_893740068111395786_n.jpg

Back