Reasons to keep/fix | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reasons to keep/fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
The good point of pulling your engine is that’s the time to replace you water pump, oil pump,
AC compressor, belts and houses... all that jazz while it’s apart. Seriously ford made it REALLY hard to work on the engine without removing the engine. That’s kind of what ford does now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The good point of pulling your engine is that’s the time to replace you water pump, oil pump,
AC compressor, belts and houses... all that jazz while it’s apart. Seriously ford made it REALLY hard to work on the engine without removing the engine. That’s kind of what ford does now.

@McFudden... I bought a cheap civic for the meantime... prob not gonna last much longer but its good enough 4 now.. i see my explorer everyday and its taunting me...

Keep throwing chinessey parts at it. Mine is up to 250,000 miles-Original engine and trans!!
2005 4.0 v6 uses no oil runs great! :)

I just finished fixing mine. 97 Explorer, 4.0 SOHC, 153500 miles. Its in good shape, but has rocker panel rust starting. I pulled the engine, replaced all timing components, torque converter, and all related gaskets except head gaskets. Cost me around $1100 using Ford parts. It took about 3 months just working on it during lunch breaks and Saturdays. Was it worth it? I dont know, but I now know the engine is rock solid. It fires right up as soon as you turn the key. I know that now I have a reliable winter beater that I can drive every day, and keep the mileage down my other vehicles.

John

how much was just the timing components... also how long did just the timing take

If you have all the special tools ($$$), with the engine out, it doesn’t take long. It isn’t hard.

Pulling and installing the engine...that’s the ***** part.

lol... debating between destroyer and ricks... ill have to see tho thanks all!

destroyer quoted me 2395 for a rebuilt engine... ricks quoted 1800 for either front or rear chain... which shiuld i go with

Majority of the cost is the labor removing the engine and putting it back in. The price of $1800 for either front or rear doesn’t make sense. The rear chain requires the engine being removed. If you are doing the front then you can leave the engine in. Doing the front only should be cheaper, and if you are doing the rear might as well do the front as everything is removed to do it except the front timing cover. Make sure whoever does is knows to use the OTC timing chain tool kit for the 4.0 so they don’t ruin the timing when putting the new chains in (cloyes has a good YouTube video on how to use the tool and replace the chains/guides)

In terms of engine rebuild, you need to know what they define as a rebuild as this can vary quite a bit and know what value you are getting for your money. On a 4.0 on top of normal things I would want to make sure the cam followers and hydraulic lash adjusters are properly inspected and replaced if needed (FordTechMakuloco has good videos) - failures of these can destroy the motor. Ours are the same as 4.6/5.4 2V. Failure is however more common on 3V. My 250k motor I replaced them all, they are fairly pricy ~$250-$300 for the set if I recall. I had 2 that started making noise and caught them early. They are a pain to do with the engine in the truck. I didn’t notice mine until after pulling the engine to do my timing chains.

On the other side, spending $2500 Is a lot of money on a 300k vehicle that due to mileage isn’t worth much. Which is why timing chain replacement typically scrap many of these.

Good luck in making your decision

-Scott

You keep asking the same question, and ignoring everyone’s advice.

Your best bet is a lower mile, entirely different motor. If you don’t have 2k to spend on it, I wouldn’t bother fixing it. Replacing the timing stuff is expensive, and very labor intensive.

You don’t (ever) need to cool your gauge cluster, you just need a new one (or have a wiring issue).

The way to fix the hatch is to replace it. Once you’ve fatigued the metal it’s a losing battle.

Unless the engine is low mile, it makes absolutely no sense to do the timing. Zero. None. Unless maybe you’ve got no job, nothing better to do, and really love pulling engines. Then...have fun, go for it.

$1800 for a single timing chain repair is $1800 wasted. For another $600 you could have a fresh reman engine. For $600 less you could have a very low mile late-model engine out of a wrecked vehicle that will last you many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Here is what I would do, with a high mileage engine, in order:

1. Swap in a low-mile late-model SOHC long block from LKQ.
2. Swap in a remanufactured engine.
3. Do the timing set myself.
4. Repeatedly dunk my nuts in a fire ant hill.
5. Pay someone $1800 to replace one timing chain.

alright... ill probably go and replace engine and maybe tranny... ill see tho... debating wether to fix it or just drive it as is... thanks tho..

What’s wrong with the tranny?

For reference, I drove my truck 80,000mi with rattling chains before replacing the engine. It sounded like hell, but never blew up.

nothing wrong... just as preventative and it costs less when the engine is out

Seems weird to want to cut corners and save money by doing half a job, to turn around and replace a transmission that’s not failing. With that logic just buy a nicer, newer vehicle.

@Mbrooks420, didnt mean it like that lol... i am debating wether just do chains, or get rebuilt engine and tranny... although the latter costs almost 2x more, still debating

Doing a tranny with the engine in isn’t hard.

I’d just worry about the motor. Maintain the tranny until it needs a rebuild. I wouldn’t pre-emptively swap a tranny...especially with one that isn’t new/remanufactured. You may be swapping a used trans in that is in worse shape than your current one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back