• Register Today It's free!

Regular vs. "Updated" CV Axles?

bsgraham98

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
So I have the telltale signs of a bad CV axle (namely a loud thud-thud-thud noise when turning at low speeds, I also may have damaged the boot doing other work...like an absolute buffoon) on my 2015 PIU. I went to my local O'Reilly's who only had the "updated" passenger CV axle in stock (Part Num FD8328). I looked at O'Reilly's website after I arrived home only to see a review of 1 out of 5 stars, saying that you need new studs and a bracket to get it to fit. After looking through the threads on the forums, it looks like some people get the right part the first time, while others end up having to do the full bracket replacement, involving sourcing the parts from other Fords to make it work. RockAuto also has the same part number listed for replacements, so my usual cross-reference process is useless. The other "standard axle" has an O'Reilly's part number of FD8296. Is there a consensus on which part is correct? My only other thought is to get the PIU in the air and check the stud spacing with some old calipers and comparing with the new part and hoping for the best, but I don't want to have to spend the whole weekend driving around to find the right part and risk a catastrophic failure.

Update: the "updated" axle has bracket hole spacing of 50 mm OC while the old one has about 45 mm spacing OC.

Pictures on the vehicle? I'm not clear on what bracket a CV axle needs?

Back