Remote Start 2004

N1265

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 explorer
Hi Guys,

Just bought a 2004 with 77k to replace my 1996 with 272k. I Never had a vehicle before with a remote start or a coded key and after the paperwork was signed the dealer said they only had one key and one remote fob. :mad:

The remote system looks like a Avital 4113 but when I push the button for the remote start all it does is activate the gages but does not crank.

However, if I put the key in the ingition and turn the key to the "ON" position and then hit the remote start, it seems to work fine. Do any of you guys have this remote system in your vehicle ?

I have read some posts where some systems use a second key hidden somewhere in the vehicle to get around the PATS but I do not know if this system does.

I am wondering if this could be where the second key is, and if so why don't the remote start work without a key being in the ON position .

Any Advice / Insight is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wont start due to pats for remote start. when you remote start it with no key, the theft light should be flashing rapidly. the ignition is not receiving a pats key to start.

The light does flash rapidly. Should I try taking the control unit apart to see if there is a key in there ?

I looked at the owners manual on line, They said something about a Valet switch and a disconnect switch. Should I be looking for these instead of a spare key in the control unit ?

There should be 2 boxes, one is the brain, second one the bypass that may our may not have a key inside depending on the model. In any case the bypass seems to be the problem

I think I found the "brain" located on the drivers side of the console ( near the blend door motor )

where would be the best spot to look for the bypass ? would it have to be near the steering collum ? or would it be in the engine compartment ?

Do they all use the same color code for wires ?

Yeah steering column and not sure on wire colors
look in the ignition for a wire looped around and try to follow it

Ok, I will look later on tonight.

Can the PATS be disabled, or is there a way around it ?

The bypass is the way around it

I made a video and I am in the process of uploading to you-tube now.

It is a Avital 4111 remote with a PKAll self learning bypass moduale

where would the shutdown toggle switch be spliced into ? It seems to be the only thing I can't find. would it work without it ?

( Maybe they never installed it )

I would start by downloading the manual for both the starter and the bypass. On my system the bypass module requires 2 working keys to be programmed so you might need to get a second key made (you should get one regardless or 2...)

Ok, I got the manual for the bypass. and have looked at the owners manual and install manual for the control unit :

Acording to the LED diagnostics on the bypass, the module is currently programed. It can only be programed for one car and can only be programed twice (for security reasons) . It also requires two keys to program.

But I am confused with the procedure. At the beginning of the programing procedure it talks about a "smart key " and removing the key from the remote cards and keeping they away from the vehicle for at least 10 ft. Are they talking about a different key system ?

also, I am wondering how getting a second key would help in programing the unit. when they copy the keys, don't they copy the code also? wouldn't I have two keys with the same PATS code ? Or do I only need a non coded key cut to turn the tumbler ?

They don't copy the keys, they program them into the pats module.
I had one key made (only had one) and bought a third on ebay and programmed that one myself, when they program the second key they delete all keys from the system that way the previous owner that kept the key you are missing can't use it to start your truck. In your case since the bypass module acts like a key it would get deleted too so hope that it has only been programmed once...

does this have to be done at the dealer ? And how much would I expect to pay the for this ?

I had it done by a locksmith I paid around 50 can't remember exactly, for the third key I paid around 10 from ebay and programmed it myself

Before I spend any money, I need to make sure it is nothing simple. I can't find the "shutdown toggle switch " witch came with these units.

Is it common to wire these remotes up without them ?

And if it is turned off would it even power up ?

I am getting nowhere fast on this project, Went down to the dealer today to get the right coolant and asked about the keys.

They said they can delete all previous keys,cut and program two new keys that they have in stock, all for $100. + tax.

From what I have read I am thinking it is worth it. ( correct me if I am wrong )

But for now my big question is : when they do this, should I rip the control and bypass boxes out so they don't mess them up in the process ? or will it be a non issue ?

The bypass will get deleted as well since it's programmed as a virtual key
Regardless you should have 3 working keys to save on replacements your whole issue still seems to me related to the bypass module

I agree that problem is bypass related. and I understand that I will loose the current programing of the bypass modual threw this process.

I just don't want to fry it in the process just in case it has only been programed once before. The key I have looks like it has been around a while and therefore I believe it is probably an orginal...

I can get another bypass box of the same kind off e-bay for $20. and should be able to plug it into the existing wiring if needed.

At least that is the plan...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah go with that plan and no reprogramming your pats module shouldn't fry the bypass

Back