Remote start smart phone app ? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote start smart phone app ?

Yup. I'd rather pay the 90 to have it installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dang, $430 shipped? why is this so expensive?

especially since the OEM key remote start works up to about 200 feet........anything associated with Ford and a cell phone (especially iphones) seems to be hit and miss.

Is required "security module" something that comes standard on the Sport or did you have to pay extra for it?

Couldn't tell if that was just something that's not standard on the Base and XLT models but Limited and Sport already has.

Required security module is one of the two parts you need to buy if you don't buy the kit (you must have remote start to buy the kit). IF you don't buy the kit, then you will need the 2 pieces.

especially since the OEM key remote start works up to about 200 feet........anything associated with Ford and a cell phone (especially iphones) seems to be hit and miss.

Nothing miss about this at all. Works flawlessly. Best investment I have made. Other than my tune. Oh and my husky floor mats. Oh and my HIDs. Lol.........:salute:

HI folks

So i am having these installed tomorrow and this thread really helped. I just wanted to get an idea if $780 was too steep a price to pay.

Ford Explorer Remote Start System - Cellular Access DL3Z-19A390-B
Ford Explorer Vehicle Security System DL3Z-19A361-A
Ford Explorer Anti Theft Flasher DM5Z-19D596-A

I already have the "premium alarm" on my Limited with the 5 button FOB.

Nothing miss about this at all. Works flawlessly. Best investment I have made. Other than my tune. Oh and my husky floor mats. Oh and my HIDs. Lol.........:salute:

with all the time and money you have spent including all the screw ups on the install and parts,trips back and forth to the dealership/installer, you should calculate the $USD cost/trip from the 10th floor to your car..... and this is your best investment?

with all the time and money you have spent including all the screw ups on the install and parts,trips back and forth to the dealership/installer, you should calculate the $USD cost/trip from the 10th floor to your car..... and this is your best investment?

Absolutely. Nothing better than coming out of a movie and seeing all the other movie goers scraping snow and ice off their cars. Me. I jump in my toasty warm defrosted X and drive away. See ya later beeeotches. LOL. Wasn't that many trips to the stealer ship. They hadn't installed one before. No charge for labour and the price was reasonable. Now I have a car alarm as well. Cheers!!!!!!!

HI folks

So i am having these installed tomorrow and this thread really helped. I just wanted to get an idea if $780 was too steep a price to pay.

Ford Explorer Remote Start System - Cellular Access DL3Z-19A390-B
Ford Explorer Vehicle Security System DL3Z-19A361-A
Ford Explorer Anti Theft Flasher DM5Z-19D596-A

I already have the "premium alarm" on my Limited with the 5 button FOB.

Considering you only need 2 parts and not 3 for it to work, you overpaid. You could have spent the $415 to buy the kit that includes the 2 pieces required and installed it yourself in 10 minutes.

***Post 107 on page 6.

Also, page 2 of this document shows the 2 pieces you need if you bought them separately (under Remote Access column). This is a Ford document.

http://www.paulmachenry.com/documents/Hero Cards/FORD RMST Apps.pdf

It looks like the kit contains the RMU and RMST modules that I would need for my Limited with factory remote start. The installation directions show routing the RMST harness from the glove box to the TPMS sensor in the center console. Is that required if my rig already has factory remote start? Or is their a harness already routed to an existing RMST module that I just need to swap for the new one?

It looks like the kit contains the RMU and RMST modules that I would need for my Limited with factory remote start. The installation directions show routing the RMST harness from the glove box to the TPMS sensor in the center console. Is that required if my rig already has factory remote start? Or is their a harness already routed to an existing RMST module that I just need to swap for the new one?

I can't say for sure. From what I've read on the F150 forum and the super duty forums they didn't do anything to the TPMS. Plugged the units in under the dashboard (behind glove box) and everything worked.

I can't see it being any different since they all have TPMS now.

I can't say for sure. From what I've read on the F150 forum and the super duty forums they didn't do anything to the TPMS. Plugged the units in under the dashboard (behind glove box) and everything worked.

I can't see it being any different since they all have TPMS now.

But I don't think there's an open harness behind the glove box to plug the unit into. Unless there's already a Remote Start unit there that needs to be pulled out and replaced with this new unit. Has anyone done the install themselves on an Ex with factory remote start?

Considering you only need 2 parts and not 3 for it to work, you overpaid. You could have spent the $415 to buy the kit that includes the 2 pieces required and installed it yourself in 10 minutes.

***Post 107 on page 6.

Also, page 2 of this document shows the 2 pieces you need if you bought them separately (under Remote Access column). This is a Ford document.

http://www.paulmachenry.com/documents/Hero Cards/FORD RMST Apps.pdf

I guess its the price i pay for not being too handy with this stuff. Now i need to figure out how to test them completely. I know the remote start works but the alarm i have to work on. The flasher is just for looks.

But I don't think there's an open harness behind the glove box to plug the unit into. Unless there's already a Remote Start unit there that needs to be pulled out and replaced with this new unit. Has anyone done the install themselves on an Ex with factory remote start?

From what I recall, you unplug the 100 series, the 100 series plugs into the 200 series and then the 200 series plugs into.

So to try and simplify.

if A is 100 series and B is what it plugs into.

Remove A from B
Plug A into 200 series.
200 series plugs into B.
Then on the side of 200 series is a port for the other piece.

Make sense?

From what I recall, you unplug the 100 series, the 100 series plugs into the 200 series and then the 200 series plugs into.

So to try and simply.

if A is 100 series and B is what it plugs into.

Remove A from B
Plug A into 200 series.
200 series plugs into B.
Then on the side of 200 series is a port for the other piece.

Make sense?

Yup, makes sense. So it sounds like the 200 series box is an add-on to the factory-installed 100 series box, and does not actually replace it. Thanks!

Yup, makes sense. So it sounds like the 200 series box is an add-on to the factory-installed 100 series box, and does not actually replace it. Thanks!

Correct, it does not replace it. I don't know why they have to piggy back like that. I know the 200 series is a 2 way remote start which is how you get the confirmations back that it started or is locked/unlocked. The 200 series comes factory in some of the vehicles now but not all. The explorer which I own and the superdutys do not have the 2 way so we need to "upgrade" to it and then add in the other module to make it work.

Whats the difference between the standard perimeter alarm on the limited and this one

http://accessories.ford.com/electronic-module-10669.html

Someone mentioned a "kit" that contains 2 parts. Can you clarify what parts the kit contains.

Thanks i appreciate the help in clearing my confusion up
I think the main difference between the two is explained in the first point that is used to describe the add-on alarm;
•Two-step perimeter alarm gives a warning chirp for non-threatening impacts and a Real Panic Sound if security is threatened.
The OEM perimeter alarm does not do the above, I believe, unless the vehicle is actually broken into.

Peter

I think the main difference between the two is explained in the first point that is used to describe the add-on alarm;
•Two-step perimeter alarm gives a warning chirp for non-threatening impacts and a Real Panic Sound if security is threatened.
The OEM perimeter alarm does not do the above, I believe, unless the vehicle is actually broken into.

Peter

Thats right, the OEM is passive and has no provison for any 'impacts' in the manual.
It activates if doors are opened/glass broken/attempted start without a key near.

Thats right, the OEM is passive and has no provison for any 'impacts' in the manual.
It activates if doors are opened/glass broken/attempted start without a key near.

I'll try to test the doors etc this evening.

So just to confirm. The kit includes the alarm and the cellular component also?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll try to test the doors etc this evening.

So just to confirm. The kit includes the alarm and the cellular component also?

The kit includes both pieces. In the kit, there is a jumper that needs to be removed for the impact sensor to work. Read the manual if you haven't that I posted, it talks about it. I believe there is also an adjustment to the sensitivity that can made by you.

Back