Remove the torsion bolts completely? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remove the torsion bolts completely?

vegastrac

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I've got the front lowered down about 1&7/8", but didn't want to go much further as I didn't want to remove the torsion bolts completely. Now that I am replacing the bump stops and lowering the rear more, I was thinking about removing the front torsion bolts completely to see if I couldn't get another half inch or so of drop.

Are there any negative sides to removing the torsion bolts completely? If I want to lift the trac back up, will the bolts simply go back in, or will there be more to it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search for "torsion flip" and you'll find pictures and how to do it.

No negative side effects. They will screw right back in.

I rode around for 8 months with no torsion bolts in at all. I got about 2.25 inch drop with no torsion bolts in.

vegastrac said:
Critical, your post refers to a past tense, did you raise it back up for certain reasons? Was is ride quality or other reasons?

Also, I'm not interested in the flip, I'd only like to get another half inch or so at most.

Thanks for the input.

I had it lowered from spring till winter, then the snow came so I raised it back up with rear shackles and torsion twist. It was nice lowered, but It wouldn't have faired well in the snow, I like to romp in the deep snow. I ended up keeping it lifted, that way I don't have to worry about breaking or scraping something on the ground over potholes (S.E. PA roads are always under repair and full of ruts). Once I graduate school I will get a second ex to lower and keep lowered, but right now a lifted is more versatile for me.
I did not do the torsion flip, just removed the adjuster bolts. Then after about a week of driving around, It had settled to about 2.25 inch drop. All explorers are different, some can get up to 3" from removing the bolts, where others will only get 1-2". I would say remove the bolts and drive around for a few days and see how it settles. Mine settled another quarter inch a month after I had it aligned. The only way to find out is try it and see what happens, it may only drop 2" or it could drop almost 3" like mine did.

Thanks for the info. What did you do regarding the bump stops? Did you replace, remove, trim? I am planning on trimming mine, but would like to find out what is available as far as replacements go. I've already trimmed the rear and it made a world of difference.

Jerry

There have been more than a couple of people complaining thier truck rides like complete ass after they do this, just something to consider.

I'm interested in lowering the X a bit in spring. Is this considered a cheap-man's lowering technique? What else should be done along with this adjustment?

Low.. as low as you can go :p :p

With torsion adjustment, an alignment will be needed, buffalo.

vegastrac said:
Thanks for the info. What did you do regarding the bump stops? Did you replace, remove, trim? I am planning on trimming mine, but would like to find out what is available as far as replacements go. I've already trimmed the rear and it made a world of difference.

Jerry

I replaced the factory bumpstops with ones from energy suspension. They are part # 9.9102, they are 11/16" tall and 2" diameter. I think I paid about $8-10 for a pair at autozone.

Thanks for all your help Critical. I think I'll head to AutoZone and buy a set rather than trim the stock ones. I'd only seen them available on Explorer Expresses site for around $100 shipped for the front and rear, and didn't want to pay that much. I'll probably take the bolts out, install the new bump stops and take her in for an alignment in December. I'll make sure to post before and after pics. when I'm done with the front and rear nip tuck.

Forgot to add, these are the bumpstops for the front, not the rear. I just left the rear ones alone and did not trim them, with 2" blocks it wasn't a problem with bottoming out.

Critical, I knew that. I've got obnoxiously large speed bumps where we live, so doing something with the rear bump stops was a must. Trimming them an inch made a world of difference. Wish I had done that before driving the trac to Alaska last summer, those frost heaves are a pain! I plan to drop the rear down another inch, so I will probably take another 1/2-1" off of them.

Thanks again for all your input.

When loosening these bolts to lower the x, is there an exact correlation between the amount that it is loosened and the actual drop in height? If i were to remove the bolt approx. 1/2", is the truck going to be 1/2" lower? Also, when doing the twist and not the flip, does it still need to be on jackstands?

I'm now wondering if a small twist had been done before i bought it, b/c the alignment shop cannot get a perfect alignment anymore and i have noticed that my hood consistently seems lower than the other Xs in the area. When looking at it in the street, it just looks like the tires are way too small with the large gap to the fender.

I AM looking for a noticeable drop, but i cannot sacrifice going through another set of tires like i have the past 2 years, due to non-alignment. I'd like to go 2" - is this alignable in a 4wd?

mine is 4wd and it was dropped 2.5". You will need to have camber adjusters put in. Mine was aligned right to specs once the adjusters were in. To get the height you want you just need to play with the adjuster bolts by unscrewing them and then bouncing the truck. When I lowered my truck I did not use jack stands, just don't bounce the truck while your under there or it will lower down on top of you.

I'd try a different alignment shop. Ask around at the local audio and performance shops who they would recommend. I went to the Ford dealership after having my alignment done, and they got it in "Ford Specs" although the numbers werern't good. I have a 4X4 also. I finally found a shop that is very reputable for lowered suspensions, and plan to take the trac there to have a new alignment done when I finish lowering next month.

Critical_Level2 said:
mine is 4wd and it was dropped 2.5". You will need to have camber adjusters put in. Mine was aligned right to specs once the adjusters were in. To get the height you want you just need to play with the adjuster bolts by unscrewing them and then bouncing the truck. When I lowered my truck I did not use jack stands, just don't bounce the truck while your under there or it will lower down on top of you.

I've already had a camber kit installed so it shouldn't be a problem.

At two different shops i've been told that my pass side just cannot be perfectly aligned but it's within a couple degrees - possibly due to a bent frame - but i've never looked into having the frame looked at. I'd rather not know how much it'd cost to straighten that out if it is a problem.

did the adjuster flip, left the bolts out, i'm currently sitting on my bumpstops, did the 2 inch blocks in the rear and its not far from the bumpstops. I can definatly feel the rear hit over certain bumps. All in all, the ride quality didn't seem to change at all, still rides like a truck, and i'm on 20's and KYB monomax shocks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Give it time, it'll wear into you.

Back