Removing Broken Easy-Out | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Broken Easy-Out

I would take it to a welding shop and have them weld it back on, a good welder can do wonders with aluminum. As long as the part can be cleaned properly.

It's a low-stress part, I was also thinking JB weld... comments?

At this point, I'm hesitant to start removing more bolts for the unit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would try one of the soft melt aluminum weld sticks before the jbweld, although I have had good luck with jb weld in some instances.

But I would still try something like THESE RODS

you should be able to get them locally at HD or Lowes, or any auto parts store

Will heating the area be an issue?

Broken easy out removal

I'm an A&P mechanic (aircraft) we have this same problem from time to time, only for us removal of the screw without damaging any other parts is mandatory. The easy out is much harder than the screw so with that in mind you MUST be very careful. You will need a dremel or an air pencil grinder and you will need a small ball type grinder that is slightly....very slightly larger than the diameter of the easy out. Next you must have very steady hands and with the tool vertical to the broken easy out, grind straight down through the easy out (not to one side or you will be screwed). You must be careful not to put too much pressure on the easy out because the grinder will "skid" off the broken easy out and you will damage adjacent areas. It can take as long as 2 or 3 hours to carefully grind through the easy out (depending on how much was broken off) but you will know when you it is gone when you see the original drilled hole. After that is completed you may need to drill the hole deeper and try an easy out again...only being more careful on your twisting force! Good luck!

This happens to us all the time take a torch heat it up then some compressed air or co2 preferably and smack it should shatter

Back