removing pass side valve cover 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removing pass side valve cover 4.0L

rhoptry

Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.0L
Do I need to separate EGR tube from manifold or can I slip the valve cover out from under it? I have a rattle and am checking rear timing cassette for damage, following rattle resolution procedure from 2000StreetRod.
thanks,
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotta pull the EGR tube. Lots of Liquid Wrench and elbow grease. I just pulled the top, Loosened the bottom so it could turn and turned it out of the way. Tons o fun.

thanks, Tech by Trade.
I'll be looking at the pass side cassette this weekend. From the plastic I found in the oil pan, I think that I am in for it.
Explorer 2006 XLT 4.0L

Got a 01 explorer...can't seem to get anywhere on the passenger side valve cover gasket...the tubes that seem to be in the way won't pop out...is there something doing wrong?

I remove the front passenger tire and reach in w a 27mm wrench removing the egr tube at the exhaust manifold. You can lift off the intake manifold w the throttle body remaining attached to the intake manifold.

The two heater hoses behind the valve cover can be disconnected and moved to the side. Just below those heater hoses there is a small - 10mm, I think, nut holding the metal tube bracket (which is attached to these two coolant hoses) to the firewall. Removing that nut allows you to move those coolant hoses to the side much easier. (Don’t forget to drain some coolant before hand. Use a clean 2 gallon bucket so you can reuse the coolant, if in good condition).

Back