rent a trailer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rent a trailer?

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
does anyone know where i can rent a trailer(besides uhaul, obviously)? I need to move a 5x3x3 ft desk and a 6x4.5x3 ft mattress/boxspring combo from my apt in iowa back home. i have a class II hitch on my 94 that i would like to use. who can i rent from? any national chains or illinois/iowa chains?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know of any place but if you get desperate you can always have a buddy go pick up a trailer with another vehicle and then just hook it to your explorer.... then when you drop it off they cant really say anything about it.....

none of my friends have a hitch :(

well i know this is stretching it but i think i have a way around that too... go rent a truck from home depo or something like that.... pick up the trailer and then return the rental truck... or worst case..... go test drive a brand new truck and use it to pick up the trailer :) then drop the trailer onto your truck and take the other one back....

there are always ways around things

LOL love the test drive idea. but im 19, and i DOUBT any self-respecting salesman would let me take the truck solo :D looks like ill have to convince my bros gf to let me use her mountaineer.

yeah sometimes you can walk into a dealer and the'll throw the keys at you and sometimes not.... ive walked into a showroom before and asked 1 question about a truck.... the salesman came back with the keys and a plate and said take that one there for a good drive....never took down my name or nothing.... i coulda had my girlfriend drive my truck away and never went back.... funny how some people are trusting and some people are not.... you know if you go to a tsc or something they have those small travel trailers for a couple hundred bucks.... maybe youd be better off just buying one.... i borrow a 16 ft enclosed travel trailer from my parents....

you know ... try putting some white tape over the explorer logo and the front end logo and tell them its a mountaineer.... i bet most people couldnt even tell teh difference without the badging

A friend of mine drove up to uhaul in his 94 xlt and told them it was a navajo. they didnt seem to care and rented him the trailer. Though I suggest against taking your buiseness to them its up to you

i know i wouldnt be taking my business to them unless i had absolutely no other choice....but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

if i had a choice, i def wouldnt use uhaul. but i cant find anywhere else to get a decent trailer. and $10 is pretty good for a trailer, ****ty company or not. my friend's dad owns the largest sod farm company in the midwest(maybe the country, im not sure) and he said i could borrow one of their trucks to go pick up a trailer with, so looks like im gonna have to use uhaul, unless anyone knows of any other places around me.

Of course Uhaul is renting the trailer to a specific vehicle. If you were to get into any kind of accident then I'm betting all liability will be on you...

In regards to buying the trailer. The folding trailer kit from Northern Tools (there is one in Des Moines, IA) is pretty cool. You do have to buy the wheels and a 4x8 plywood sheet and it does take some time to assemble (lots of screws) but the trailer is great. It folds up and with a winch one can store it nicely in the garage. Let me know if someone wants more info on that.

Link to trailer:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&productId=465468

Otherwise you always can rent a truck from Riders and haul it with that.

Back