Replaced your torsion bars? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced your torsion bars?

Hello , i know this post is old but , i have the same clunk and i ask my ford dealer at montreal to place an order for this part F57Z-5B328-A but they sold for 60$ each so , can someone call to a dealer in your area to see if this part cost 25$ , Maybe it s cheaper to order directly from usa . Thanks a lot

Someone ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lekid302

That $25 price was 6 years ago. There was a $38.57 price quoted from a dealership in post #28 3 years ago. Right now, FastPartsNetwork.com has the adjusters for $34.25 each + $??.?? shipping to Canada.

This dealerships is about 50 miles from downtown Montreal. You can find out from them on Monday how much they cost unless somebody here can answer you first.

1. Riley Ford Inc

ico_approved.gif
9693 Route 9
Chazy, NY 12921

ico_oval_sm.gif

Tel: (518) 846-7131
Fax: (518) 846-8693

I take this thread alive another time .

I change the torsion bar adjuster today , i paid 80$cad each . I took me one hour to change both side . Now i have the same clunking noise but less noisy since the kevlar patch is new .

The adjuster bolt on the right side had 14 thread left and the right side was 6 thread so defenatly someone had try to adjust the suspension .

I never had to take a puller to take off the torsion bar adjuster , only a couple of hard hitting and the adjuster start to slide off . I was suprised when i put the newer one , it was loose on the torsion bar . i mesured .030 difference between bar and adjuster . Is it normal ?? .

And i dont know if i use the good procedure to adjust the height of my truck, i mesured the rear : 31½ from ground and the center of the wheel well . So i adjust the front a the same height . But the adjuster bolt have 16 thread left now. If i put it more stiffy , it raise the front .

Maybe i wrong but just clarify if i have done this well .

Thanks a lot

After having Upper/Lower Control Arms and Inner Tie rods replaced per dealer recommendation, my 96 is still doing the Clunk. Do you need to have front end alignment after replacing Torsion Bar Adjuster?

Yes, any height change requires an alignment. Hopefully your tires aren't new, and you can sort out the issue before a final alignment. Have you inspected your torsion bar keys? Those 95-97 models have a kevlar wear pad on them which often wears out?

that's what I am about to replace. the chilton's book doesn't say realignment is necessary though. I just had it realigned after having upper/lower control arms, ball joints, inner tie rods replaced per ford dealer suggestion. still clunks too.

Well, I finally figured out my front end clunking noise. So far I've changed upper/lower control arms and ball joints both sides (per ford deal recommendation), torsion bar adjusters, stabilizer bar bushings, Inner and out tie rods, none of which got rid of noise. My left front drive axle snapped today destroying my Monroe Reflex Shock that I was about to return under warranty which is now void. It looks like it may have jacked up the upper ball joint too. The $93 I spent getting it diagnosed at Ford and the $1000 I spent based on their advice apparently wasn't enough. Now I'm out another $100 for the shocks and who knows how much for the control arm and other damage.

First and last Ford I'll ever buy.

Does this kevlar paded key, apply to the 2001 sport trac as well?I had my ball joints and tie rods checked.I had them replace the right outer and inner tie rods and a alingment.I have this "clunk" noise when I go over bumps.You can feel it in the floor board almost as if something on the front suspension is loose.Maybe a bushing or something?

Welcome, and no. The torsion keys with Kevlar pads were only made from 95-97, that was a big improvement in 1998. From 1998 there is a pocket in the frame which holds a replaceable friction pad in it. They last a whole lot longer after 1997. Regards,

Welcome, and no. The torsion keys with Kevlar pads were only made from 95-97, that was a big improvement in 1998. From 1998 there is a pocket in the frame which holds a replaceable friction pad in it. They last a whole lot longer after 1997. Regards,

Any time or mileage range with the new ones, i.e. the 2000? I hear some stuff every so often as well. Checked out fine though at my last PM, so not sure what it is otherwise.

I have not yet heard of anyone replacing the 98-01 model wear pads. I had priced them once, they should be just over $30 each.

Wow, learned alot from this thread. Any idea if the B torsion bars (higher spring rate) are available for 98s. How would I know what I currently have? I've got to look at the wear pads. I've deffinitly got the clunk and can't find anything else.

I've got to bump this thread. I've got a clunk in my 98 that sounds exactly what is described in this thread. Has anybody ever replaced the friction pad on a 98 to get rid of the clunk? I'm at a loss as to what's clunking on my truck. Everything up front is new and tight! Any help would be appreciated.

I've got to bump this thread. I've got a clunk in my 98 that sounds exactly what is described in this thread. Has anybody ever replaced the friction pad on a 98 to get rid of the clunk? I'm at a loss as to what's clunking on my truck. Everything up front is new and tight! Any help would be appreciated.

Front drive shaft. The cv at the transfer case end. Try removing the front drive shaft for a short time and see if the clunk goes away. Cation, it may roll in park with front drive shaft removed so beware of this.

Also, grease the rear drive shaft slip yoke.

Back