Replacing airbags | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing airbags

residue

Reaction score
City, State
nuc
Year, Model & Trim Level
i would like to install a new airbag in my gf’s 95 explorer. And I was wondering if there was a write-up or a faq regarding this? I’ve seen some 95 explorer airbags on eBay but I have been hesitant to buy it. Airbags scare me, I wouldn’t want to install it and do a bad job, I get this feeling that I am going to f*ck something up and it’s going to deploy accidentally.

anyone. is it a simple as unplugging the battery and plugging in the airbag in. is it "plug n play", do i need a new module?

thanks for your help guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

chalk this one up to my own ignorance, but in general there's little I WON'T do. Trannies, engines, A/C, brakes, paint and bodywork.... but airbags? I think THAT is something I'd let the experts handle....maybe... if I knew more I would say "heck DIY..." but as things stand for me, now... no way. My 2 cents.

No mechanic was ever killed by working on brakes etc. They HAVE been killed working on airbags!

The driver's side is easy. Unhook the battery and let it sit for 5 minutes. Pop the covers off the side of the steering wheel and remove the bolts. Lift the airbag/horn assembly out and disconnect the wire. Replacement is opposite.

Never tried the passenger's side and don't have a clue how to do it.

And pull the airbag fuse from under the hood. It works on a seperate system with back-up power I believe.

and never put yourself infront of one just in case it decides to go off

thanks a alot, i'll let you know how it goes, if i don't, i'm dead

HTF can an airbag kill someone? My aunt had a '95 Cutlass and the air bag decided to go off when she put the key in the ignition. It startled her and bruised her face, but for sure was not life threatening.

Standing out of the way while installing it does make sense in case it wants to go off though.

Yeah.. well tools in hand while airbags deploy is not a good combination. Lets say residue is beating the airbag in with the ass end of a flathead screw driver.. and it decided to go off.. :eek:

That does make sense. My bad.

Back