Replacing fan clutch w/water pump? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing fan clutch w/water pump?

I'd be willing to put money down it's either a bad coolant temp sensor for the computer (there are two on there one for the gauge and one for the computer)

I don't think so because she can actually hear it boiling. It's hot.

Since it's only around town and not on the highway, it almost has to be the fan clutch. The engine fan is almost useless at highway speeds...thus it cools just fine. Erika, make sure you buy a high quality, thermostatically controlled clutch. Don't buy some cheapie from a discount parts house. Get the good one...you'll be happy you did. You'll need to have it installed though unless you have the clutch wrenches to remove and install it.

Hayden is an excellent brand. They show two part numbers for 2001. But if you have the Gen II body style built to Oct 25, 2001, you need part number 2794.

Do as suggested and clean the fins out. Be careful you don't bend and damage any fins while doing so. Direct any water spray directly at the fins and not at an angle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very well said, good clear details.

Alright, I've got the new clutch almost done and I'm stuck on some math. To get the fan back on I have to use an open wrench. To torque it correctly, obviously, this wrench becomes an extension. Book says 34-46 ft. lbs. I was going to go with 40. The wrench is 12" long and the torque wrench is 15" long. The formulas I've found are confusing. Anyone good at this? Its been awhile since I've been to math class. Seems to me the use of an extension lessens the torque applied. The examples tell me what the end result is but not what to set the wrench at to accomodate the loss, does that make sense? With there being a 12 ft. lb. range according to spec, do I even need to worry about this?

Ah, I found the calculator I was looking for... for anyone who wants it... http://rvproject.com/mechanic.html

The clutch I bought was from AutoZone, they were the only ones around here that had it in stock. Its a TorqFlo, which corresponds to the Hayden 2794. At any rate, it was $64.99 and looks exactly like the old one, minus a crapload of mud. Also, they have the wrench set available for loan that makes the job really easy.

I cleaned everything up as good as I could. Awhile back, I took it through a large mud puddle. In hindsight, this was a very bad idea. I pressure washed it afterwards, but after pulling out the shroud and fan, I could see what got missed. Looks good now, and I wouldn't be surprised if mud was the main reason for this overheating. Keep yer fingers crossed!

That sounds good and promising. Was that torque for the four small bolts, or the large "bolt" thread of the water pump shaft?

The torque wrench is designed for the length of that wrench(designed in). I don't know if you can use a torque wrench there, and the small bolts I would shoot for about 25ft.lbs. Good luck,

Been driving it for over 30 minutes now, and no overheating. :bounce: I'm still not completely convinced but things are looking good. The torque I was talking about was for the one big nut holding the fan/clutch to the water pump pulley, not the 4 small bolts. I used the 22 ft. lbs. that calculator advised and it didn't seem tight enough, so I did away with the torque wrench altogether and went with "gudntite." It always works for my wheels...

Thanks so much for everyone's help, it was great to have so much support from this site!

Very good, and that sounds tight enough. Torque specs are mainly to keep people from breaking small/tiny bolts with too much torque, and to get very large bolts tight enough to not come loose. The torque changes as a bolt size gets larger or made from stronger metal. The wheels studs are very strong metal and large, they need 80lbs.ft. or so, "gudntite." Regards,

I cleaned everything up as good as I could. Awhile back, I took it through a large mud puddle. In hindsight, this was a very bad idea. I pressure washed it afterwards, but after pulling out the shroud and fan, I could see what got missed. Looks good now, and I wouldn't be surprised if mud was the main reason for this overheating. Keep yer fingers crossed!

I wish you had told us that to begin with. It's very possible that the mud was your only issue. It would be covering the "thermostat" on the clutch. It wouldn't surprise me if that was your entire problem. It couldn't sense the warmer temps and wouldn't lock up when needed.

I'm not a fan of the clutch you bought, but if it's all you could get, then that's all you can do. Keep your receipt...you'll probably need it.

The fan/clutch tighten as the engine is run. You will notice it came off a lot harder than you tightened it. You should be fine. I hate to say it, but I've never put a torque wrench on one of these and I've never had one come off.

All in all, GREAT job Erika!

Back