Revolver shackles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Revolver shackles?

trent

Reaction score
Ok...here goes another long shot idea of mine. Does anyone know a reason why I couldn't install a pair of Metal-Made-Right Revolver shackles on the rear of a late-model Explorer? I know, I'd need longer shocks and brake lines/cables, but is there any reason it wouldn't work? They only add about 1" of lift, I figured just crank up the torsion bars in the front to match. Shower me with your thoughts.

Thanks,
Trent

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed the brand that Pep Boys carries. I think it is Superior but not sure. They ran me $15 or. I did not have to install longer brake anything or longer shocks. The 1" or so you get out of them doesn't add that much stress to the lines and shocks. Then I also twisted the torsion bars. If you have the "B" bars you might get a little more than someone with weaker bars. "B"s are suppose to be the ones to have because they are more stiff than the others. I have them and got at least 1.5" up front. Hope some of this helps. Dead Link Removed

------------------
mike fox
95 XLT 4D 4X4
Dynomax cat-back exhaust
Vent shades
Sony deck and 10 disc changer
Gabriel VST shocks
Torsion twist
Longer shackles (Pep Boys $15.00 brand)
Westin Safari bar up front 9just need some lights now)

Future mods:
Westin nerf bars

Trent,
I've been thinking about trying them also. I've tried to E-mail the company, with no response. A phone call is the next step...
Mike- Trent is referring to a shackle device that does not add much lift. It does allow much more droop/extension of your rear suspension. It is an alternative of a 3/4 elliptical "buggy spring".
I think it should work if it can handle the added weight of the Explorer vs the jeep.
We need to ask the manufacturer.
Rick

------------------
Rick
95 Explorer Sport Expedition
Dead Link Removed

This was the responce I got from them when I emailed them. Maybe we should all send a letter to them saying we would like them to make them for our Explorers.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Raymond,
Currently we do not have a Revolver designed for the Ford Explorer. We will be working on new designs this fall or winter but are unable to do so this summer do to current volume.
Thanks for your interest!!
Amy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Metal Made Rite, L.L.C.
(307) 234-7430 www.wyojeep.com

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Ray & Rick~ I figured they didn't make one for the Explorer, to my knowledge they only make them for Jeeps. I thought that perhaps the Jeep one would work, you would just have to drill out the hole a tiny bit (there's some other post around here about using Jeep Wrangler lift shackles on an Explorer). I suppose the only other issues would be clearance for the shackle to work, and if the little rubber pad that the shackle sits on when fully compressed could support the weight of the Explorer. I also have a friend with an Isuzu Rodeo that wants to try the same thing as me, and I'm SURE they have no plans in the future to make Isuzu Revolver Shackles. I think the Jeep ones would work for all of us with a little modification, but I'm not gonna pay $250 unless I'm really sure, and I'll bet if you asked M.M.R. if this swap would work they would tell you 'no' due to liability.

~Trent

The one you would need its the YJ shackle. The Cherokee one is quite a bit different(would probably work for a Ranger though). From what I could gather by reading their web site and the couple of e-mails I got(before being snubbed) the YJ shackles should be within about 1/4-1/2" of the correct eye to eye measurement and is the correct type and width. I am sure that it would work.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Technically Velveeta isn't REALLY cheese... it's a cheese food...
The stuff that other cheeses eat... I guess.

Trent,
I bet the Cherokee shackle would work for us. It weighs almost as much as my Sport, and it looks more buffed than the Wrangler shackle. Ray- Thanks for the link to their site! They have some great pics of the shackles.
Rick

------------------
Rick
Dead Link Removed

Paul,
You're right about the sizing fit. I'm concerned about the weight issue.I really like the way the xj shackles are reinforced. Especially for safety on the street. Maybe for off road use only at first?
Rick

------------------
Rick
Dead Link Removed

Back