• Register Today It's free!

Ride Quality

Big Duke

Reaction score
City, State
OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB 5.0
Ok...I have a general question about shocks. The roads around here are pretty bad and I know that the frame of my X is stiff. However would replacing the factory shocks w/ some decent aftermarkets really increase the ride quality of the street jungle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For sure! Which one to get is a matter of personal preference. Do you want them soft and floaty or stiff and controlled? A little on the cheap side or money is not a problem? There are lots of choices here. I guess this is the part where I say do the SEARCH my Explorer friend. :)

Ok, so when I say soft I mean. When I hit one of the many potholes out here I don't want to "bounce" around like I do now.

that's a great question i have a 2k2 sport, and it's a smaller wheel base i never thought of swapping shocks, how much would something like that go for? i live in the dc northern va area, Amazing how much it cost to live here and they cant afford to pave the streets more then Once every 20 years!! :fire:

If your bouncing around then you definitely need some new shocks. That's basically what shocks do- stop your truck from bouncing. Like I said there are many choices to choose from. From $25 Gabriel VST to $70 Edelbrocks and a lot more in between. You just gotta do the search. :)

I hear ya, dtl 2k2, I think all states have this problem except San Diego and Beverly Hills. :D

I just installed Pro Comp ES 9000's and what a difference it made. Good for some mild offroading. And really got rid of the wheel hop and shimmy. Now if ya want you can put Fox 2.0 Class 11 race shocks on there and hit speed bumps and not even feel it. That will set ya back like 160.00 a peice.
Anyways, 4Wheel parts has the set for 135.00 + tax.

dtl 2k2 sport said:
that's a great question i have a 2k2 sport, and it's a smaller wheel base i never thought of swapping shocks, how much would something like that go for? i live in the dc northern va area, Amazing how much it cost to live here and they cant afford to pave the streets more then Once every 20 years!! :fire:

I test drove a 2000 4 door V8 tonite, and wow what a difference in ride! You wouldn't believe it!!

are you thinking of getting rid of your truck,,?? is it really that much of a diff?? How much horse if the v-8??? :bounce:

I've been throwing the idea around. The V8 has quite a difference in power. Very Suprising!!

I've been thinking of getting another toy, possibly a used X, 4 door, but they are all ragged out, so i was looking for a ranger truck, 4x4 model,, how many miles do u have on your's?? Is the X your looking at a 4x4, or AWD,,?

Back