Roaring Noise from front end | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roaring Noise from front end

Another thing I'm not sure I mentioned...When I put the slightest, and i mean slightest pressure on the steering wheel either way the noise increases probably 50-75% and the vibration also increases. At 40mph the noise is considerably louder than at any other speed. However, at 50mph the noise is barely noticable. Does this sound like wheel bearings? Also, the noise seems to be a little louder sitting in the driver's seat rather than the passenger seat. I was looking today and the driveshaft that goes into the front differential sits a little offset towards the drivers side. Could it be some sort of bearing in the diff or possibly the a bearing or something in the transfer case? I'm really stumped on this one and my auto teacher, who was also a mechanic for 24 years could not diagnose this problem. I guess the only thing i can do now is just wait like doc said until it becomes louder or unbearable where the stereo cant even cover it up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another thing I'm not sure I mentioned...When I put the slightest, and i mean slightest pressure on the steering wheel either way the noise increases probably 50-75% and the vibration also increases. At 40mph the noise is considerably louder than at any other speed. However, at 50mph the noise is barely noticable. Does this sound like wheel bearings?

All of those are EXACTLY the symptoms when one or both front wheel bearings are gone. My truck did exactly the same things as you just described. All of those things went away as soon as I replaced my front bearings.

Sweet, glad to hear that...well kind of lol....So i guess Im DEF gunna be getting some new front hub/bearings in a couple weeks after I get back from MD! Seems like there are quite a few problems with the Ex's front bearings and all that going bad prematurely, wonder why its not a TSB?

So i just got to MD yesterday (750mile drive) and That noise has gotten slightly louder and I got some horrible gas mileage for being straight highway set on cruise control...the best i got was 19.4mpg..kinda upset me a bit

so does this still sound like a bad wheel bearing? just makin sure haha

anyone?

I've got a 99 bauer, was my wife's and she knew that I'd start fixing things if she made me drive it. Had bad pulsing brakes, abs light on, and a growing pulsating growling sound coming from front end around 30+ MPH. So first I threw in new discs and pads, much smoother braking, but noise still there. Then I replaced both front bearings. Seems tighter & smoother, but still howls and ABS light still on. I put it up on four jack stands with wheels off the ground and started the car and let it idle in drive, walked around listening for CV joint or other noise, with no luck. still on stands sit in the car and rev it up a little, at ~25 MPH an abs break kicks in in rear, releases when I brake to a stop, but still none of the growling noise from driving, even up to ~60mph. CV boots look tight and shafts don't seem to have obvious slop. Pulled it down from the stands and drove around, sound is still there, definitely from front. After driving a couple of miles, front U-joint is a little hot but there's no slop in it, front differential case seems warmer than it should be, definitely warmer than rear differential case. CV joint cups all cool to the touch. is the differential known for problems? also checked circumference of front tires with tape measure, both seem close to 95"...
Ideas?
Thanks!

Haha, maybe start your own thread after a year and a half?

Also, welcome.

same sorta thing on my 04 explorer. get to about 40 and she starts humming. Thing is it doesnt get any louder doing the typical bearing test swerving back and forth.

I jacked mine up and the left one seemed a little rougher spinning the the right. And my ears tell me it is the left front ( rear diff allready has been replaced / that was a totally different noise).

But your deal sounds like a wheel bearing for sure.

I personally dont trust the Ebay ones. I rather pay a little more for a OEM one, or timken.

Keep us updated.

Back