• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack removal

Indispensable Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
I decided to restore my roof rack, this morning I removed the rear roof rack with ease,the front was a different story, a passenger side screw isn't coming off. It just turns, and appears to be damaged in some way.
I would like to avoid painting the rack while on the vehicle if at all possible. So removal(without further damage) is a priority. Thank you!
Here is a video showing the issue:

On my Ger 2 Explorer there was only one bolt. Total of five (?) per rail. Battery powered impact and PB Blaster got all but one off. Tried wedging a chisel under the head to lift it enough for threads to grab which might work for you as the bolt is partial out it looks like. Finally had to cut the bolt with a hammer and chisel.

On my Ger 2 Explorer there was only one bolt. Total of five (?) per rail. Battery powered impact and PB Blaster got all but one off. Tried wedging a chisel under the head to lift it enough for threads to grab which might work for you as the bolt is partial out it looks like. Finally had to cut the bolt with a hammer and chisel.
I don't suppose you were able to get it back on after that? Thanks.

Back