• Register Today It's free!

RPM's too high?

Fun94Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
Howdy all, I just discovered this message board, and found answers to several questions I had. Great site/board!

I was wondering if I have a problem with my transmission. (I'm a computer geek, I know VERY little about autos) I have a 94 Explorer Sport with 98k miles and an automatic transmision.

It just seems to me that my RPM's are too high when I'm driving on the freeway. Most of the freeways around here are 65MPH speed limit, and in places 70/75. To run at 70 my RPS are at around 3500 to 4000. It almost feels like there's a last gear that it's not shifting into. Is this the case or is that the normal RPM for that speed?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone could provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my automatic 4 speed 94 runs about 3000 at 70...so i think that is around normal. also if your a/c is on it may bump up the rpms

yes, those rpm numbers sound too high. there should be a little button on the tip of the shifter that says OD, this toggles the Over Drive on and off. in my 96 there is a small light on the dash that comes on when you turn the OD off. and it says "OD OFF". if you dont see a little light on the dash that says OD OFF then try pressing the switch to see if it comes on, if it does press the button again to turn the OD back on, the little light should disappear when the OD is turned on. another way you can check to see if the OD is workin, is to watch your tachometer (rpm meter) when you get going about 45 mph, at 45 and above the transmission will shift into OD if it feels the need to. my 96 has the same engine as you and 3.73 axle gears and it does about 1800 rpm when in over drive at 50 mph. if you have the same gears then your explorer should run about the same numbers at that speed. hope this helps.
-jonathan

we have 94s no overdrive button just fourth gear on the shifter...P..N..OD..D..2..1..

woops.....my knock. i thought it might be the same, guess i thought wrong.
-jonathan

Yeah that is too high no matter what gear combination you have. Seems like it's not going into overdrive, not really an uncommon problem with the A4LD. Try a search for A4LD or overdrive or something along those lines, but be prepared it might not be good news that you read.

Just to eliminate the possibility, you are driving on the highway with the gear selector on the inverse D or the thing between N and the regular D? By no means I am challenging your intelligence just want to rule it out as possibility.

mine shifts fine....it is actually in ODwhen on the highway....

actually now that i thnk about it it stays at about 2600 rpm on the freeway in fourth.

i have 31s and 3.73s..

in D it is about 3000-3100
sorry for the miss info before. i havent driven in over a month...

James: That question wasn't really directed toward you. (Just so you know) I just wanted to make sure that fun94sport was in the right gear, I have ran across a few people who havent a clue as to what that inverse D on the shifter is for. And like I said I'm not calling anyone dumb just eliminating that posibility.

By no means I am challenging your intelligence just want to rule it out as possibility.
No sweat Hey, I'm not gonna get mad at people trying to help me out. :)

But yeah, it's in over drive (the inverted D). I'll search and see what I can find for A4LD.

actually now that i thnk about it it stays at about 2600 rpm on the freeway in fourth.

Well, I can't remember ever feeling mine shift into a fourth gear. I always had the feeling that I was overworking the engine, even at 55/60. I'm getting nervous that a new/rebuilt transmission is on the horizon.

Thanks a ton for all the info!

Thanks to all for the info they posted!

My engine had also been pinging, so I did the computer reset (unplug battery cables) and all I can say is WOW!

It's like I'm driving a completely different truck. The pinging is almost completely gone (I'll try some of the other suggestions next with regards to that), the engine is MUCH more responsive, my RPM's at 65 are now down to around 2800, and the engine just sounds and feels a lot smoother. I really didn't expect such a radical change.

Thanks again to everyone for the info!!

Alright, I'm doing this tonight. That means that I'll have to reprogram my stereo though. Damn why can't it be simple!! :)

Back