Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
Howdy,

I need to change out the lower oil pan gasket on my '02 V6. A little bit of oil is seeping past it.

I just picked up the gasket, and I was wondering if I need to apply any silicone or RTV to it. I have never dropped an oil pan before. The gasket already has some rubber on it.

n557846679_1438005_2451.jpg

Think I could just slap it on by itself? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you dont have to put silicone on the gasket.. just make sure you alternate bolts when tightening it and do it to spec and you should be fine. alot of people would use silicone but its not always necessary.

Never use any sort of sealant on a rubber gasket. It will cause it to leak. I read this in the Ford instructions, and didn't believe it untill I tried it. I had to drop the pan, and start all over again. The sealant is only used on plain gaskets which are designed for sealant.

That particular gasket shouldn't require any sealant at all. If there is a seam between two gaskets, then you can add some RTV to the seam. But that one shouldn't need any.

Okay, thanks guys, no RTV then, I'll just slap it on by itself.

Back